After owning a 3FE powered FJ80 Land Cruiser for a short period of time, I realized there is not much vendor support or even information on the Internet regarding our unique Land Cruisers. I guess with only about 15,000 imported into the US, there’s not much of a market to cater to.
I know we have a less powerful engine, we don’t have full-floating axles, we don’t have rear disk brakes or factory lockers. Even though we don’t have all the desired options on a FZJ80, we have the reliability of a mighty 3FE engine. No worries about cooling problems, no head gasket problems, no pesky heater hose, no timing chain, less electronics and the list goes on.
In my opinion, our 3FE powered Toyota FJ80 Landcruisers are the best expedition vehicle for remote travel. Why should I be in a hurry to get any where? Its a 3FE state of mind.
Just for us 3FE powered 80-series Toyota Landcruiser owners, I’m assembling a list of resources that pertain specifically to our mighty vehicles. If you have a resource that should be included, be sure to send me an email so I can post it here.
My Toyota FJ80 Land Cruiser Expedition Build Articles
- Toyota FJ Cruiser Wheels on my FJ80 Land Cruiser
- Toyota 80-series Land Cruiser ARB Bull Bar Installation
- Installation of Old Man Emu (OME) Suspension on Toyota FJ-80 Land Cruiser
My Toyota FJ80 Land Cruiser Repair and Maintenance Articles
- Troubleshooting the Toyota FJ80 Land Cruiser Center Diff Lock (CDL)
- Toyota FJ80 Land Cruiser Rear Door Window Regulator Repair
- Changing Drive Belts on a 3FE Powered Toyota FJ80 Land Cruiser
Toyota Land Cruiser FJ80 3FE Resources
- Oil Galley Plug Replacement For all 2F, 3F & 3FE engines – Details the replacement of the oil gallery plug for your 3FE engine. There is a possibility that this plug can come loose and lose your oil pressure. You should take care of this as a maintenance item rather than having it leave you stranded somewhere.
- Toyota 3FE group (FJ62, ’91-92 FJ80) – Discussion group on Toyota inline 6 3FE engine (evolution of the F, 2F, and 3F (carb)) common on late 60 series and early 80 series Toyota Land Cruisers imported into US.
- Toyota 3FE Desmog Guide – Tech article on desmogging a 3FE powered FJ62 and most of theinformation should apply to early FJ80s too.
- Jon Held’s FJ80 Site – Tech articles specific to the 1991/1992 FJ80 Toyota land Cruisers with the almighty 3F-E engine.
- Hltoppr’s FJ80 – Built FJ80 featured on ih8mud rig of the week.
- Dual Batteries in a FJ80 – Discussion on ih8mud about placing dual batteries in a FJ80 plus photos of an installation.
- Brake Pad Wear
- Timing Adjustment for a 3FE Motor
- 3FE exhaust mods, any noticeable power gains?
- Since the 3FE is slow, why no aftermarket support?