Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: More Survival Tips

Bookmark and Share

Default More Survival Tips

Most of us probably have some kind of an emergency or survival kit we carry when we head out into the wilderness either on foot on in the rig. I know I have carried the usual stuff for years and really have never had to use it. But it's nice to know it's there just waiting for its time.

I've built a few alcohol stoves and carried those in the truck and hiking in the woods just to be able to heat water and have something warm but I've never been too impressed with the efficiency until I found this.

They are sold as White Box Stove and I bought one recently on eBay and it performed exactly as advertised. Coolest little stove I've ever used. It's small enough that with my little aluminum pot, a couple bags of tea and soup and I can have something warm in my tummy in about four minutes when the bad weather rolls in. And it weighs just a few ounces.

It's going to be within easy reach on all my trips.

Mick
    KE7PIT

I had never seen one of those until i came on this site, for christmas my wife and I recieved a jetboil www.jetboil.com , It's the coolest little system I've ever seen and VERY compact, But rather expensive. I recieved it from my Landcruiser buddy.......landcruiser guys alway's come up with the coolest stuff..hehe....Rod
    1965 fj40 355,465,twin stick 205,14 bolt rear,d60 front, SOA rear , 16" sway-a-way coilovers w/custom y link and panhard front, 8274 warn,onboard air,welder,gps,and 37" cooper STT's

Quote Originally Posted by Rockcruiser View Post
    I had never seen one of those until i came on this site, for christmas my wife and I recieved a jetboil www.jetboil.com , It's the coolest little system I've ever seen and VERY compact, But rather expensive. I recieved it from my Landcruiser buddy.......landcruiser guys alway's come up with the coolest stuff..hehe....Rod
    Rod, that's the kind of Landcruiser buddy to have. I'm familiar with the jetboil and it is a very nice stove. I have two gas stoves (not counting the old Coleman) that I use for my "serious" cooking or in the winter when I need to melt snow because alcohol stoves aren't good at that. I guess we can never have too many stoves. Don't women always need another pair of shoes?? There's our justification right there.

While we're on the subject, my oldest son gave me a Kelly Kettle stove recently and I just tried it out. Works great and gives you 2.5 liter of boiling water in about three minutes.

The first pic is the Kelly Kettle and the second is the little White Box Stove.

Mick
    Attached Images Attached Images
    KE7PIT

Both look like great products to have along year round. Definitely good to have along for the "day trip" that turns into an overnighter (or worse).

Steve
    Steve

K9PNW | Exploring the Pacific Northwest in my 1992 Toyota FJ80 Land Cruiser

Pacific Northwest Backroad Adventures - Pacific Northwest Outdoor Adventure Forums

Steve G. Bisig Photography
    - Pacific Northwest Photography: Nature, Landscapes, Rural, Urban

Hmm... that kelly kettle is kinda interesting. I'm gonna have to get one of those... Darn ..more cool stuff...
    1965 fj40 355,465,twin stick 205,14 bolt rear,d60 front, SOA rear , 16" sway-a-way coilovers w/custom y link and panhard front, 8274 warn,onboard air,welder,gps,and 37" cooper STT's

There's quite a bit of information on the web regarding the Kelly Kettle. I found this site interesting.

Mick
    KE7PIT

Thanks for the info Mick..What a great design. I think we would get the 2.5 ltr. set up. Hmmm just missed Christmas, darn.. But Maybe.......

Default Kelly Kettle

It's funny, I grew up with Kelly Kettles. Every Irishman had one in NYC which they took to work. I knew Irishmen that had theirs for decades.
    To me, that's the number one stove that all others try to beat. Fuel for it can be found on the trail. Fast and intense heat too.

Quote Originally Posted by RidgeRunner View Post
    I've built a few alcohol stoves and carried those in the truck and hiking in the woods just to be able to heat water and have something warm but I've never been too impressed with the efficiency until I found this.
    I have carried a White Box stove and bottle of heat during the winter for many years. It and a small SS pan rides in a rubbermaid tub with my tire chains.
    I have never "needed" it , but it is nice to know that it is there. It really is kind of neat. made from an aluminum bottle.
    I have made quite a few of the pop-can stoves and practiced making them with my family. It is a good skill to have.
    Last edited by HenryJ; 01-07-2011 at 15:34.
    "Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond

Anyone else make an olive oil lamp out of a mason jar? Easy to make and pretty safe to use.

Thread Information