Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Expedition Modifications to a Ford F-150 Pickup

Bookmark and Share

Think how much easier it will be to set up when we're having one of our wonderful northwest downpours. Plus you'll have a little more room to move around in there.

Steve
    Steve

K9PNW | Exploring the Pacific Northwest in my 1992 Toyota FJ80 Land Cruiser

Pacific Northwest Backroad Adventures - Pacific Northwest Outdoor Adventure Forums

Steve G. Bisig Photography
    - Pacific Northwest Photography: Nature, Landscapes, Rural, Urban

Well you hit the nail on the head my friend. Northwest downpours was one of the foremost things on my mind when I decided to spend the extra bucks on the Flip Pac with a 2 minute setup. Now I have an almost new truck tent for sale, but maybe I should hand onto it until I take delivery on the Flip Pac!
    Jerry
    Jerry
    Reading and Riding Northwest Backroads
    K7PNW

Default Flip-Pac Camper mounted on F-150

We left last Monday for a trip to the Flip-Pac manufacturing plant in Riverside, CA. It was a neat drive down Hwy 395 and we saw some beautiful scenery we had never seen before. Snow everywhere except on the highway - a true winter wonderland.

The Flip-Pac is now mounted and so far it works great as a California bug catcher! Besides being instructed on how to work it at the factory, including opening and closing it myself, I have opened and closed it only once since then while showing it to our kids in Grass Valley, CA. But, I'm sure we will give it a workout in the near future. To date I am impressed with the product and have no regrets about buying it.

The next step is to build-in some storage compartments and a 36" or 40" wide folding sleeping bed in the truck bed...to say nothing of other F-150 projects. Busy, busy, busy.
    Jerry
    Jerry
    K7PNW

Jerry,

Did you just buy the shell?

Did you have any options? (I assume there were upgrade options available, for a price of course).

Steve
    Steve

Pacific Northwest Backroad Adventures - Pacific Northwest Outdoor Adventure Forums

Yup, we bought the Flip-Pac. There are only two factory options that I know of: color to match and a rain fly (more of a rain cover). I bought the rain cover and since my truck is white and the basic color of the gel coat is also white, a little whiter than the pickup, I decided to leave the paint as is. They show and promote an aftermarket interior kit consisting of carpeted storage benches along both inside side-walls and it looks pretty neat, but it didn't fit with my interior decorating plans.

I was worried that the pickup and canopy wouldn't fit under the header of our carport, but when we got home from our trip (only a half hour ago) I tried it out. It has 3" to spare. Whew!!!

Jerry
    Last edited by Jerry; 10-20-2017 at 14:40.
    Jerry
    K7PNW

I would probably do the same.

That way, you can customize it to your needs and also use it as truck if need be.

Your limited clearance takes away the option of a 8 inch lift and 40 inch tires.

Just kidding. This should be a very nice setup.

Steve
    Steve

Congrsatulations, Jerry!!!

We are excited for you, and looking forward to seeing you and it at a future driving event.
    Brian
    http://i125.photobucket.com/albums/p...8E1457slim.jpg
    2004 4Runner Sport V6, 3" OME lift, 275/70R17, 1" wheel spacers, GPS, CB & Ipod, Scion Stereo, Truck Vault storage drawer, Rear diff breather.

Regardless of our opinions (including mine), the Truth still exists.

Bumped this one up....wanted to review your build Jerry as I will probably mirror it with my new truck. Took a while to find this....the search function did not work.
    N7GS

Surprise, surprise, I didn't expect to see this thread from the past! Your detective skills are amazing, Hutch.

We have owned the Flip-Pac for seven years and have only used it 3 or 4 times. I have opened it several times to show interested onlookers how it works, but only slept in it 3 times myself. My wife took a nap in it on another occasion. But, our plan from the beginning was to use the Flip-Pac only if we couldn't find a motel, sort of like carrying a spare tire and I carry two of those and have never used either of them!

Regardless of how many times we have used it, I still think it is the best design for our limited needs. Likes: (1) Tall roof for tall people - you can stand up to put your pants on as well as sit up in the upper bed without hitting your head, (2) Fast and easy setup - the roof easily sets up in a matter of a couple of minutes, no bows to set in place, and it does just about everything on its own, (3) Plenty of windows for excellent air circulation and (4) Light weight - it only weighs about 300 lbs. and has a low roof line for less wind resistance. Dislikes: (1) Rain Fly - Like a tent, if it is raining much more than a gentle mist it is necessary to cover it with a rain fly (I bought the factory rain fly, but I suppose you could get away with using a tarp. The factory rain fly pulls into place when you open the top, but anything that slows down the process belongs in my "dislike" column), (2) A little difficult to enter - the entry is through the open tailgate and open rear window of the camper (it's plenty wide, but you have to duck your head or crawl under the camper opening - personally I find it easier to keep the tailgate in the closed position, lift my leg over it and duck under the header of the camper - I also have some metal stairs that fit into the receiver hitch for easier entry) and (3) More time consuming to close than to open - maybe twice as long - after you lower the roof you have to tuck the tent material inside the gasket around the seam so it doesn't hang out.

Mine is the stock factory white color, but they paint them to suit or you can have it painted later like any other fiberglass camper or canopy.

This isn't the place for ads, but we are going to sell our Flip-Pac as well as the winch and swing away spare tire/gas can holder that slides into the rear receiver. In other words, put the truck back to stock so we can trade it in on a car. The '02 F150 only has 49,000 miles on the clock and it is the "loaded" model so it is still worth a few bucks, but car dealers aren't interested in all of the camping and off-road accessories. It would be nice to sell everything as a package, but I think we can do better selling it individually.

So, Hutchman, get your buns up here and bring your wallet...if for nothing else to buy a hamburger!
    Jerry
    K7PNW

Thread Information