Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Expedition Modifications to a Ford F-150 Pickup

Bookmark and Share

Nothing yet. We have been busy and frankly the bumper situation is on the back burner. Will have to call them again.
    Jerry
    Jerry
    Reading and Riding Northwest Backroads
    K7PNW

Default Tires siped, 12,000# winch, winch mount and brush guard

Had the tires siped a couple of weeks ago, can't tell the difference yet as we are still in sunshine on this side of the mountains. Well, actually they did get a little wet the other day...because we crossed the mountains to look at and buy a used grill guard/winch mount. It started raining at North Bend and continued until we crossed the pass on our way home.

The winch mount is a used Warn unit with a small mounting plate for a 9000# or smaller winch. But, I found a like new 6 year old Warn M12000 Winch in Portland and it came with the mounting plate! The seller even drove half way and we met in Biggs, Oregon to finalize the transaction.

The winch was mounted on the truck today, pretty ugly, it's the Warn Trans4mer mount that accommodates larger winches (obviously) and sits high in front of the bumper.

Next are some COOL off-road lights and I am still looking into dual batteries and an air compressor.
    Jerry
    Last edited by Jerry; 10-20-2017 at 14:42.
    Jerry
    K7PNW

It looks like things are progressing well on the build.

Steve
    Steve

K9PNW | Exploring the Pacific Northwest in my 1992 Toyota FJ80 Land Cruiser

Pacific Northwest Backroad Adventures - Pacific Northwest Outdoor Adventure Forums

Steve G. Bisig Photography
    - Pacific Northwest Photography: Nature, Landscapes, Rural, Urban

Excellent! No longer helpless when out alone!!
    Brian
    http://i125.photobucket.com/albums/p...8E1457slim.jpg
    2004 4Runner Sport V6, 3" OME lift, 275/70R17, 1" wheel spacers, GPS, CB & Ipod, Scion Stereo, Truck Vault storage drawer, Rear diff breather.

Regardless of our opinions (including mine), the Truth still exists.

First off all of us have different vehicles. What we all share is our adventurious mindset. The best adventure vehicle is the one you find yourself owning at the time. Dont let the capability or lack thereof of your vehicle prevent you from getting out there and enjoying this beautiful state of ours. As a general rule what I like to preach is that if possible carry a bunch of fuel. The only time youve got to much fuel on board is when youre on fire! It frankly sucks to get stuck somewhere in a perfectly good vechicle because you ran out of fuel.

There are many larger replacement fuel tanks you can find on the internet. My main tank is a 50 galloner from Australia. With that and four nato gerry cans Ive got fuel to do anything I want to do in this state. It helps to get 23+ MPG, but having the fuel is number one.

Have a great time out there.
    1987 Toyota HZJ 60 Turbo Charged 4.2 liter diesel! 50 gallon main tank... 1250 mile range....

Quote Originally Posted by HZJ60 Guy View Post
    It helps to get 23+ MPG...
    Lucky!!!
    Steve

Pacific Northwest Backroad Adventures - Pacific Northwest Outdoor Adventure Forums

Default 130 Watt Off-Road Lights

We see the light! In the case of the F-150 it's two, six inch, 130-watt lamps attached to the brush guard above the winch. There were a myriad of off-road lights to choose from and I went with KC HiLites for a couple of reasons. First was dependability. I have a set of 100-watt KC lights on my Cherokee that have been performing well for the ten years I have owned the vehicle and they were used when I got them! Second was loyalty. K C HiLites are the original manufacturers of off-road lights and they are a private company based in Williams, Arizona.

We are still working on additional modifications and will continue to update.
    Jerry
    K7PNW

Default Flip Pac Camper Ordered

Things have been progressing slowly in the F-150 department and in the past couple of months I have come full circle on my thoughts about sleeping arrangements. This is the last thing I wrote about that subject...
    Since the truck will serve as a utility vehicle I don't want the hassle of installing, removing and storing an expensive camper or canopy, to say nothing of putting up with the powdery dust those units collect.
    Well, guess what? I have changed my mind. The things I said are true, especially concerning the dust, but it's the alternative that bothers me.

As you may recall I purchased a truck tent for camping off the ground and set it up once for practice. It took a long time setting up, but I attribute that to inexperience and I believe the manufacturers when they say setup takes only 15 minutes. But, I started thinking about it taking 15 minutes to get out of a rainstorm, or even worse getting away from mosquitoes or horseflies. After pondering various scenarios I came to the conclusion that a Flip Pac Camper was the answer and I placed my order last week.
    http://www.flippac.com/

The camper won't be ready until early March and we are driving down to Riverside, CA to take delivery. The trip gives us a chance to visit our oldest son and his family and save a bunch of $$$ in shipping costs to boot.

It only takes a couple of minutes to setup and, zip, you're inside and away from pesky critters. The foam mattress is equal in size to a double bed and there is still room for additional sleeping quarters in the truck bed. They advertise more, but I figure it will sleep two comfortably. Oh, and a tall guy can stand up in the truck bed under the 7' roof.

Other than that I am in line to have a rear bumper with a swing-away spare tire carrier fabricated and plan to add a few other goodies at the same time. Will let you know how it goes.
    Jerry
    Last edited by Jerry; 10-20-2017 at 14:44.
    Jerry
    K7PNW

That definitely looks more comfortable than the tent in the back of your truck.

Steve
    Steve

That definitely looks more comfortable than the tent IN the back of your truck.
    Yeah, it will be a tent ON TOP OF my truck
    Last edited by Jerry; 10-20-2017 at 14:45.
    Jerry
    K7PNW

Thread Information