Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Expedition Modifications to a Ford F-150 Pickup

Bookmark and Share

Default F-150 upgrades

Jerry,
    I love those tires. They seem to be perfect for 90% of the applications we put our rigs through. A winch helps with the last 10%. Did you have any siping done to the middle lugs?

When you lift the suspension by adjusting the torsion bars, the alignment usually get pushed a little out of whack, and you start noticing odd driving characteristics. Hunting from camber problems and shimmy from caster problems. Did you notice either of these problems on your trip to OR?

I don't know what the dash arrangement is on the Ford trucks; but I like mounting mny GPS on the top of the steering column. The GPS has a speedometer; so if it blocks part of your truck speedo, it usually isn't a problem. A couple of velcro patches to attach it, makes up for the non-flat surface of the column, on my rig.

I am anxious to hear how the trip went, and how you like the upgrades!
    Brian
    http://i125.photobucket.com/albums/p...8E1457slim.jpg
    2004 4Runner Sport V6, 3" OME lift, 275/70R17, 1" wheel spacers, GPS, CB & Ipod, Scion Stereo, Truck Vault storage drawer, Rear diff breather.

Regardless of our opinions (including mine), the Truth still exists.

Did you have any siping done to the middle lugs?
    Things were so hectic and time was so tight before we left I had to put the siping off until later. I drove straight from the tire shop to the 4x4 shop with no time to spare. I wish the tires had been siped when I was sliding toward a pickup that pulled over on the icy trail south of Sisters, Oregon. Can't say whether siping will help much with these narrow tires, but it can't hurt. And, yes, they can and do sipe tires after they have been used.

Did you notice either of these problems on your trip to OR?
    We took the truck to the alignment shop after installing the lift and no correction was required. Just lucky I guess. Didn't notice anything unusual on the trip except for a rougher ride from the torsion bars being cranked up. Maybe the mud tread made some difference, but can't say for sure.

don't know what the dash arrangement is on the Ford trucks; but I like mounting mny GPS on the top of the steering column. The GPS has a speedometer; so if it blocks part of your truck speedo, it usually isn't a problem. A couple of velcro patches to attach it, makes up for the non-flat surface of the column, on my rig.
    I like the steering column location for a GPS. Steve has his mounted there, too. My Street Pilot is a little larger than the units you guys use and if I were to mount it on top of the column it would block out most of the guage pod. It worked pretty good in the CB location, maybe a bit low for convenient reading, but it brought in the satallites okay. I'll play with it where it is for awhile.

The next addition will be a computer chip. It will make allowances for shift points, a bit more horsepower, speedometer correction and who knows what change in gas mileage? Gas mileage with the bigger tires dropped from 15+ to 13+ on the Oregon trip.
    Jerry
    Last edited by Jerry; 10-20-2017 at 14:47.
    Jerry
    Reading and Riding Northwest Backroads
    K7PNW

It is good to know, that a small lift does not throw the alignment out of whack, on the newer Ford trucks.

Did you think up a few more upgrades, while on the trail?

How did all your current upgrades work for you on this trip?

Here is a link to some mounts, that may allow you to place the GPS at the top-center of the dash; or some other useful location.
    http://www.pro-fit-intl.com/
    Brian
    2004 4Runner Sport V6, 3" OME lift, 275/70R17, 1" wheel spacers, GPS, CB & Ipod, Scion Stereo, Truck Vault storage drawer, Rear diff breather.

Did you think up a few more upgrades, while on the trail? How did all your current upgrades work for you on this trip? Here is a link to some mounts, that may allow you to place the GPS at the top-center of the dash; or some other useful location. http://www.pro-fit-intl.com/
    Can't say I thought of any new modifications on the trip. The ignition chip was on back order before we left for Oregon. After installing the chip I plan on looking into the possibility of installing dual batteries. I hate to replace the stock high amp hour battery with a smaller Optima just for the sake of having a spare that may or may not be needed. Twin Optima's fit pretty well because they are physically smaller than most OEM batteries and require less remounting of other components.

Next will be a winch. Still don't know whether I want a hidden winch under the front bumper or an external mount. A hidden winch extends the stock bumper forward by 5 inches, is mounted low enough to become submerged in water crossings and is limited to a max of 9,000# capacity. The external winch looks, well, external; clunky. The mount sits high and dry and accommodates up to the largest capacity winch models. Both mounts are fairly inexpensive as today's prices go, but a used winch is definitely in store.

Some place along the line, maybe before or between the above modifications comes a built-in air compressor. I currently carry a portable ViAir Model 400 with carrying case and all that stuff, but would rather have one built-in and out of the way. Preferably a belt driven unit.

After that it's fabricating a rear bumper, spare tire mount, maybe a fuel transfer tank and a whole list of other fabricated do-hickeys to say nothing of having to come up with new camping gear. I'm afraid by the time I finish the project I'll be too old to use it.

Thanks for the link to the GPS brackets. It could come in REAL handy!
    Jerry
    Last edited by Jerry; 10-20-2017 at 14:48.
    Jerry
    K7PNW

Default Hypertech Power Programmer

Received and installed the F-150 computer chip. It (1) successfully corrected the speedometer error caused by the taller tires, (2) changed the automatic transmission shift points back to normal and (3) supposedly increased horsepower. I need to drive the truck a bit more to notice any horsepower gain. It was a good modification, expensive, but good.
    Last edited by Jerry; 11-06-2007 at 00:14.
    Jerry
    K7PNW

The horsepower gains are usually at wide-open-throttle (WOT). You will probably not notice any power difference with normal driving.

If the "chip" will let you chang the shifting, you may want to make the shifts less soft, and more crisp. This allows less slippage in the bands, during each shift, and ruduces oil burning, and band wear. But; I wouldn't go all the way to a racing shift.

As for bumpers: Isn't there something to replace the whole bumper, and move the winch up between (or on top) of the frame rails?
    Brian

...you may want to make the shifts less soft, and more crisp.
    I agree, thanks Brian. I have not driven the truck for any appreciable distance since installing the chip and would like to give it a fair shot as is, but I think further adjustments may be required.

As for bumpers: Isn't there something to replace the whole bumper, and move the winch up between (or on top) of the frame rails?
    Boy and how! I have found complete front bumpers with prices starting at $2,000 each. Most are closer to $3,000!!! There's gotta' be something cheaper out there, but I haven't found it. Any help in that department would be most appreciated. I have already checked with four companies including Kennesaw Mountain Fabricators, whose bumpers I run on the Wrangler, Bronco II and Cherokee, http://www.kenmtn.com/ and Trailready, a local outfit from Lynnwood, http://www.trailready.com/
    Jerry
    Last edited by Jerry; 10-16-2007 at 14:57.
    Jerry
    K7PNW

Badland Bumpers is in Ravensdale, WA.
    Give them folks a call. He does tube and flat metal bumpers.
    Most of his work is on Toyotas; but everything is custom.
    The Toyota prices are good ($500-$800)
    http://www.badlandbumpers.com/index.htm
    Brian

Thanks for the lead, Brian. I checked out their web page and it looked interesting so I called and left a message for them to return my call. The price of materials for a Toyota Tacoma bumper can't be much different than for my Ford F-150. I expect to pay extra labor for fabricating a new design and if they accept other than Toyota products and their prices are acceptable I would like to discuss some other ideas, too. Thanks again!
    Jerry
    Jerry
    K7PNW

Any word from Badland Bumpers?
    Brian

Thread Information