Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The old Mojave Road - Part 2

Bookmark and Share

Default The old Mojave Road - Part 2

Monday morning: I wake early and climb the hill behind us to get pictures of the sunrise.

Breakfast, pack and we on our way at 9 am. Travelers are warned about the possibility of sinking thru the surface of Soda Lake and becoming stuck there. However there was been so little rain in S. California the past several years that a loaded cement truck would have had no problems crossing. We average about 20+ mph crossing with frequent stops for photographs. At the other side of Soda Lake is the Travelers Monument. The tradition is that you were supposed to have picked up a rock in the desert before crossing the lake and then add the rock to the pile that is the monument.

After Soda Lake, we go thru some more deep sand, climb a small pass and then descend into more sand and the Mojave River Floodplain. There are no roads ? you just pick what you think is the right way and go. We will have deep loose sand most of the way from here to the end of the Mojave Road. We pause for photographs as we drive under the first railroad bridge.

We continue our way down the Mojave River bed and begin to pick up a very small amount of water trickling down the center of the river. After several miles, Larry finds a shady sand bench and we pull in for lunch. Gene and Sue have a problem with their gas tank/skid plate. The bolts have fallen out of the front and the gas tank is hanging down about 45 degrees. We look and then break out various tools and parts. 45 minutes later it is fixed and we are on our way.

A little further on the BLM has blocked the river with posts and cables to protect some caves. We go up onto the service road along the railroad tracks for a short distance and then back to the river bed. The river bed is the official Mojave Road route.

Another short way and the river bed is blocked again. This time it is at the only significant amount of water on the entire river. We are forced to go thru a fairly deep hole and upon to a dike road along the river. Larry plows thru in the Jeep. I?m next and with my alternator being on the bottom of my engine I don?t really want to go thru but there is no bypass. So here I go. Made it and get out to take pictures of the other rigs going thru. Everyone makes it fine but then Sue asks Gene to turn around and go thru it again so she can take pictures. He goes back across, turns around and drives back towards us. Just as he gets to the deepest spot, his engines dies. Is it water locked, shorted out or what. Rather than take a chance of ruining his engine if it is water locked, he asks for a tow. Ah ha ? a chance to use my winch for the first time. I winch him out of the water hole and then turn around and tow him up to and down the dike road a short distance to the Afton campground. He checks the Jeep over; it looks ok so he tries starting it. It works! Sighs of relief all around.

Of course I forget to take pictures of the winching and towing of the Jeep.

We get back into the river bed shortly after the camp ground. Really deep loose sand from here on with no sign of water. Several miles after the campground, we try find a site called The Triangles. Supposed to be on top of an overlooking cliff. We find the post marking the turnoff but cannot find the site. Drive around in circles until the we see posts marking the site on top of a cliff. Drive over to the cliff, climb up a steep rocky draw and find some triangles and other geometric designs on the ground. Looks like the work of some kids to me. I?m not impressed. Back to the river bed and onward.
    Shortly thereafter the river bed ceases and we drive up onto the plain overlooking the river. We have done it.

We continue on dirt for several miles, cross the railroad track and pickup the old highway paralleling I15 and continue down the old highway thru the town of Yermo and on to a victory dinner at Peggy Sue?s across the road from Fort Irwin.

Peggy Sue?s is a famous 50?s style diner. I immediately order and devour a chocolate milkshake. Ahhh. Life is good.

Ed leaves us at Peggy Sue?s to drive to Arizona. The rest of us drive the short distance into Barstow where we gather at the Red Roof Inn. Gene and Sue have stopped to swap pictures with Larry. They will be driving home to Orange CA. The rest of are staying in the inn. I get a room, say goodbyes and crash in my room. About a half hour later I get a call from Gene and Sue. Can they borrow my gas can spout. Sure but why. Seems like when the gas tank/skid plate came loose, it pinched the gas fill hose between the tank and the frame resulting in a big gash in the hose. When they tried to fill up with gas, it poured out onto the ground. I lent them the spout and some tape. An hour later they returned having made a repair that enabled them to SLOWLY pour gas into the Jeep?s tank. They left for home and I for bed.

Great trip, long way there and back.

Dick Hamilton

Note: This trip was also written up in the August 2007 issue of Offroad magazine
    http://www.off-roadweb.com/adventures/0709or_mojave_road_offroad_adventure/index.html

After reading Decidion's Mojave Road Trip Report I was inspired to re-read yours, Dick. Both of you guys did a great job of making the reader feel like they were right there with you. As I read yours, and having spent a couple of days with you on the Owyhee trip, I tried to imagine some of the things you described. Like your head getting cold that night on the desert, shifting into 4-wheel and keeping a constant speed over the sand and you pulling line from your winch for the first time. Good job on the report, Dick, I liked it. I enjoyed the pictures, too.
    Jerry
    Reading and Riding Northwest Backroads
    K7PNW

Very good, Dick. I've got to get down there...

So many places, so little time.

Mick
    KE7PIT

Nice write up Dick. It just reinforces that there is so much to see along the Mojave Road that it can be hard to get it all in when just doing a short trip like the one I did...oh well...reason to head back some day
    Decidion (Jeff)
    '08 Brick Red
    AFE, BudBuilt, IPF, SAW, BFG AT, Bandi, Midland, Moeller, BajaRack, Trail-Gear, LCNW Bumper, Titan Winch and others...
    I wanna be a cowboy...

By the way, if anyone does do the Mojave Road, I highly recommend Dennis Casebier's "Mojave Road Guide". It not only walks you through every step of the route giving very details directions, but also contains a lot of great historical treats at many of the spots along the way.

One story I will not forget is about the siege of the outpost at Marl Springs. Evidently, on October 17th 1867, with three soldiers stationed at the outpost, it was attacked by a band of 20-30 Indians. While the Indians had a 10 times numerical advantage, the Soldiers had rifles and revolvers and were able to hold them off, at least temporarily throughout the night. As dawn approached, the weary soldiers who had been expecting the Indians to attack and overrun them at any time, were surprised to find a column of over 150 soldiers coming over the hill to water up at the outpost. The Indians scattered, never again to attach the outpost!

Details like this story really help you envision what is was like out there as you read it standing in the same spot that the three soldiers were hunkered down in
    Decidion (Jeff)
    '08 Brick Red
    AFE, BudBuilt, IPF, SAW, BFG AT, Bandi, Midland, Moeller, BajaRack, Trail-Gear, LCNW Bumper, Titan Winch and others...
    I wanna be a cowboy...

Quote Originally Posted by Decidion View Post
    It just reinforces that there is so much to see along the Mojave Road that it can be hard to get it all in when just doing a short trip like the one I did...oh well...reason to head back some day
    That's for sure.

If only it was not so far down there.

Dick - Toy Man

By the way, don't run the road solo, like I did. The day after I got back, this was delivered to my hotel....

Decidion (Jeff)
    '08 Brick Red
    I wanna be a cowboy...

Eh?!

That's a joke, right?
    -- Tim Taylor
    Port Orchard, Wash.

Of course...my Dad pulled this one on me
    Decidion (Jeff)
    '08 Brick Red
    I wanna be a cowboy...

Quote Originally Posted by Decidion View Post
    Of course...my Dad pulled this one on me
    Ya gotta love a dad with a sense of humor...

Mick
    KE7PIT

Thread Information