Thread: Made Some Changes

Bookmark and Share

Default Made Some Changes

It's been about 3 years since we have been out on any backroad trips, but we have kept the truck fully equipped just in case - at least until recently when we made some changes.

We hope to take part in a few day trips on the more well established roads, but don't see ourselves on 4x4 trails or snow runs. So we decided to make our old F150 a little more comfortable and easier to climb in and out.

We started off by selling the BFG MT tires and installing stock size AT's in their place. Then we tweaked the suspension to lower the front end by a couple of inches. Those changes not only lowered the vehicle enough to make entry a little easier, but made it easier to handle and much quieter. A real plus!

Next we sold the winch and winch mount. I don't know if that improved handling, but it couldn't have hurt the gas mileage and put a few bucks in the bank.

Then we sold the swing away spare tire carrier. It was the kind that fit into the trailer hitch receiver and it had mounts for jerry cans and sand ladders. We would never use it again so it was best to make a good deal to a friend. That was also a good move because we no longer have to swing the tire carrier out of the way to open the tailgate.

Our next item will be the Flip Pac Canopy including the built-in storage compartments, 2nd bed, etc. I really hate to let it go, but I don't see us using it again. We have also removed our computer tracking navigation gear to make it easier to reach the knobs on the AM radio...YES, AM! The truck has FM and CD, but this old f+++ listens to AM.

So, that's what we have been up to as far as backroad vehicles are concerned.
    Last edited by Jerry; 09-08-2017 at 01:15.
    Jerry
    Reading and Riding Northwest Backroads
    K7PNW

nice to see somebody post something on this site. where has everbody gone ?

It would be great to see a BUNCH of post on the forum, no matter how long, short or subject matter. Gotta hand it to Steve, once again, for keeping it going. Thanks, buddy!
    Jerry
    K7PNW

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry View Post
    It would be great to see a BUNCH of post on the forum, no matter how long, short or subject matter. Gotta hand it to Steve, once again, for keeping it going. Thanks, buddy!
    Thanks Jerry.

It's been awhile since I've even been out backroading or even shooting photos.

Since moving away from Ellensburg, we've been going back and forth on whether to buy or build another house.

After living on Whidbey Island for 2 years we decided to move to a little slower paced community. Just this week we made an offer on a 130 year old house in South Bend, Washington.

A new adventure begins.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Steve

K9PNW | Exploring the Pacific Northwest in my 1992 Toyota FJ80 Land Cruiser

Pacific Northwest Backroad Adventures - Pacific Northwest Outdoor Adventure Forums

Steve G. Bisig Photography
    - Pacific Northwest Photography: Nature, Landscapes, Rural, Urban

I am flabbergasted. And that don't happen often. Evidently you are retired from the Fire Department, so good for you! And best wishes to both of you on your new adventure to Pacific County. I'll bet the people down there are good folks and that you guys will have good neighbors and plenty of new friends. Please let us know how things progress.

On a side note, do you remember when we were starting off on our backroad adventures and taking a drive through Brooklyn, to see the Brooklyn Tavern, was the highlight of some of the trips? That was a long time ago. And now you guys will be living in a neighboring town to Brooklyn, just up or down the road, depending on whether you are going in or going out of the tavern. To my knowledge none of us ever had a drink in the tavern during our trips, not that we couldn't have, but I don't recall anyone actually taking advantage of the place. I wonder if it is still there?

Anyway, both Evelyn and I wish you well.
    Last edited by Jerry; 09-10-2017 at 00:40.
    Jerry
    K7PNW

Thread Information