Thread: Steens Overland Adventure - Oregon's SE Gem

Bookmark and Share

Default Steens Overland Adventure - Oregon's SE Gem

if you haven't been there, the Steens Mount area in the southeast corner of Oregon's high desert is amazing. The United States Congress designated the Steens Mountain Wilderness in 2000 and it now has over 170,200 acres. This is one of the last places in the USA where you can find wild mustang, deer, antelope and big horn sheep roaming free among the hills. If you're looking for solitude, scenic beauty or just a place to find your inner crazy, this is it.

The area is managed by the BLM and they have produced a great map of the area: Steens Mount Area map If you decide to explore the area be sure to include the Alvord Desert on the east side of the mountains. The hot springs alone are worth the trip! You can make a trip to the Steens Mountain area as hard or easy as you want. So many choices.

Only tough part in in planning a trip is that the loop road doesn't usually open until july 4 (this year possibly later) and by then the desert and lower elevations get hot... hot hot. So maybe best to plan a couple of trips or wait until the fall when things cool down but before the snow. I'm already planning to go back in Sept.

I spent a week exploring the area. These videos are of my overland adventure dont begin to capture the wildness of the Steens Mountain area and after spending a little over a week exploring the trails and back roads I barely scratched the surface, but you'll get the idea.

lgrt
    MODs: changes in attitude
    Pictures of my adventure road trips as well as random thoughts and rants
    http://lastgreatroadtrip.com/myFiles...tureBanner.jpg

Thanks for posting. Looked like it was a great trip. Will put this on the list of places in the NW to see.
    Eric, KG7SEJ
    I have never been lost, but I was bewildered once for three days. -Daniel Boone

Tried to post a couple of weeks ago, but something obliterated my attempt. Since then lots of company and visitors so haven't gotten back until now. Ditto, ditto, GREAT post, GREAT videos. We have been there a few times, but there is always more to see no matter how many times you go back. And the surrounding area has A LOT to offer as well.

Long time no see, good to hear from you and thanks for posting!
    Jerry
    Reading and Riding Northwest Backroads
    K7PNW

Thanks for the kind word... and you're definitely right about always more to see and how once you expand out beyond the Steen's boundaries, the possibilities for exploring are endless.
    lgrt
    MODs: changes in attitude
    Pictures of my adventure road trips as well as random thoughts and rants
    http://lastgreatroadtrip.com/myFiles...tureBanner.jpg

Thread Information