Thread: Winter Drive Along SR105, Grays Harbor, Washington - 3/7/2017

Bookmark and Share

Default Winter Drive Along SR105, Grays Harbor, Washington - 3/7/2017

Originally posted at http://www.stevebisig.com/winter-drive-along-sr105-grays-harbor-washington-winter-2017/

“Pilings, Southshore, Grays Harbor, Washington, Winter 2017”

The forecast for the day predicted that the heavy rain would break late in the day along the Washington coast. Since my last landscape photography trip brought me along the north shore of Grays Harbor, Washington (see my blog post at North Shore, Grays Harbor, Washington, Winter 2017), today, I decided to explore the opposite shoreline of the bay.

“Mudflats at Low Tide, Grays Harbor, Washington, Winter 2017”

After leaving Aberdeen, Washington via State Route 105 (SR105), I found a pullout along the highway near Stafford Creek where I was able to gain access to the shoreline. Much of the way prior to this point there was no convenient way of reaching the water’s edge since the ditch next to the highway was full of water from the recent heavy rain and snow.

“Lone Bush, Southshore, Grays Harbor, Washington, Winter 2017”

The soggy walk past an old railroad grade and down to the water is where I found several sets of old pilings from past industrial operations.

“Tavern, Johns River Lodge, Washington, Winter 2017”

Further down the highway, I came across an old neon “Tavern” sign at the Johns River Resort. Old neon signs are a “must photograph” for me.

“Johns River Wildlife Area, Washington, Winter 2017”

At Johns River, I left the highway and followed a “Public Fishing” sign down to the river’s edge and to a parking lot for the Johns River State Wildlife Area. By now, the rain was coming down hard. I managed to capture one photo but didn’t want to be out in the weather too long. The walking trails along the river at the wildlife area looked promising for a drier day.

Another location I found further up SR105 for future explorations was the Bottle Beach State Park. I drove through the parking lot but opted to stay dry in my Land Cruiser and continue on to the coast.

“Marina, Westport, Washington, Winter 2017”

I arrived in Westport around 2:30 in the afternoon. It was 39 degrees and the heavy rain continued. By this time, I was thinking that my photography for the day might be limited to my iPhone since my phone is much more water resistant than my camera.

“Fishing Boat, Westport, Washington, Winter 2017”

I captured a few iPhone photos around Westport before stopping in a local seafood restaurant for an early dinner. That’s when the rain finally stopped.

After dinner, I headed to the ocean beaches for more photos.

SaveSave
    SaveSave
    Steve

K9PNW | Exploring the Pacific Northwest in my 1992 Toyota FJ80 Land Cruiser

Pacific Northwest Backroad Adventures - Pacific Northwest Outdoor Adventure Forums

Steve G. Bisig Photography
    - Pacific Northwest Photography: Nature, Landscapes, Rural, Urban

Beautiful. You DO have a way with a camera, Steve. That sign for the tavern...I recall walking into that place when the sign was new and shiny and when I walked out it looked like in the photo!!! That happened a lot in my younger years!!!
    Jerry
    Reading and Riding Northwest Backroads
    K7PNW

Thread Information