Thread: Afternoon Drive Along the Little Naches River & Bumping River, Washington - 10/5/16

Bookmark and Share

Default Afternoon Drive Along the Little Naches River & Bumping River, Washington - 10/5/16

I'm a little late in getting this trip report written and photo process, but here goes. The photos aren't exactly in sync with the text. Click on the photo to see a larger copy of the image.

When I left the lowlands of the South Puget Sound this morning, it was raining fairly hard. This would be my first official autumn outing. As I made my way past Enumclaw, Washington along State Route 410, I could see that maple leaves were turning colors but not yet for the alder trees.

Once past the community of Greenwater, I made the turn onto to Forest Road 70 (Mount Baker-Snoqualmie National Forest). As I climbed out of the valley of the Greenwater River, the clouds were breaking up and the sun was peaking through. Even though I love the sunshine, I was hoping for overcast skies to capture the early autumn colors.

I arrived at Pyramid Pass (via FR 7080) at about noon. The clouds were at the level of the surrounding peaks (Pyramid Peak). I drove down a side road from this location and had a quick lunch before proceeding into the Little Naches River valley to the east.

Heading East from Pyramid Pass, the road changes to Forest Road 1914 (Okanogan-Wenatchee National Forest) as you enter into Kittitas County. It had been awhile since I was actually in Eastern Washington. Even though most people think of the sagebrush and farmlands, the east slopes of the Washington Cascades is primarily forestlands. From a photographic perspective, I enjoy how there is less underbrush on the eastside, making for cleaner, less distracting images.

Eventually, as you drive down the valley of the Little Naches River, the gravel road is left behind and meets up with the paved FR19 passes into Yakima County. By this time of the afternoon, there were fast moving occasional showers with sun breaks. This meant, as I was photographing at various points along the river that I only had to wait a few minutes before the lighting conditions would change.

After multiple stops capturing photographs along the Little Naches River, I eventually made it back to State Route 410 around 4:00 PM. Since I still had daylight, I headed off towards Bumping Lake (to be continued).

Originally posted at http://www.stevebisig.com/early-autu...shington-2016/
    Steve

K9PNW | Exploring the Pacific Northwest in my 1992 Toyota FJ80 Land Cruiser

Pacific Northwest Backroad Adventures - Pacific Northwest Outdoor Adventure Forums

Steve G. Bisig Photography
    - Pacific Northwest Photography: Nature, Landscapes, Rural, Urban

Default Part 2: Bumping River Valley

Click on an image to see a larger version.

After an afternoon of exploring and capturing landscape photographs along the Little Naches River on the east slope of the Washington Cascades, I still had a few hours of daylight left. Not to waste any evening light when Iím out and about, I turned off from State Route 410 and headed up the Bumping River Road (Forest Road 1800 in the Okanogan-Wenatchee National Forest).

As Forest Road 1800 made its way toward Bumping Lake, I could see some nice early Autumn colors along the Bumping River. Eventually I came to a location where the river was the foreground and the tree-covered mountain was in the background.

After photographing along the Bumping River, I drove to the Bumping Lake boat launch and found a scene so commonly found on Washington State reservoirs this time of year: low water levels and lotís of stumps. There was a heavy downpour at the time I was at the lake, so I skipped any attempt at getting photos.

A little further up I turned onto Forest Road 1808 towards Deep Creek. After a short drive, I came to a bridge over a canyon formed by Copper Creek and captured a few photographs of the small waterfalls channeled over the granite bedrock.

I donít have a lot of good luck with lens caps. On rainy days like this, I use them to minimize the raindrops on the lens. As I was shooting the above-mentioned waterfalls, I made an attempt to replace the lens cap when it slipped out of my hands into the creek and down the waterfalls.

Once I made my way down to the pool below the waterfalls, I could see the lens cap swirling about 3 feet below the surface of the deep pool. Retrieving the lens cap was not an option this time.

Further up the road, I could see a small set of waterfalls from the road (later I found that it is referred to as Deep Creek Falls). Because of the angle, there wasnít a good view that I was willing to search out (especially since it was getting dark fast).

Once back on the road again, I passed the trailhead for Copper City, (Iíll have to save that visit for another trip) and finally to roads end at the Deep Creek Campground and the trailhead for Twin Sisters Trail #980. There were quite a few vehicles in the trailhead parking lot.

Since it was nearly dark, I made my way down to a roadside meadow that I saw on my way in. Once on location, I made my way the short distance through the tree and into a nice forest meadow with the surrounding peaks across the valley. Deep Creek itself was a little further across the valley and out of sight.

By time I was done photographing at the meadow and was on the road, it was completely dark for the trip out to the highway and on my way to the Westside.

I probably wonít be making it back to this area again this year but Iíll have to plan to spend a little more time exploring and hiking the area next year.

Originally posted at http://www.stevebisig.com/early-autu...shington-2016/
    Steve

Pacific Northwest Backroad Adventures - Pacific Northwest Outdoor Adventure Forums

And a few more photographs that I captured with my iPhone:

Steve

Great photos. Looks like a good place to explore.

Nice photos Steve!
    Eric, KG7SEJ
    ďI have never been lost, but I was bewildered once for three days.Ē -Daniel Boone

Quote Originally Posted by luinil View Post
    Great photos. Looks like a good place to explore.
    Thank you. There are so many directions to go from there and explore.

Steve
    Steve

Quote Originally Posted by lost in the woods View Post
    Nice photos Steve!
    Thank you Eric
    Steve

Great pics! Next time you head over this way we should meet for lunch. Our cabin is just down river from Whistlin Jack's.
    Jerry
    Reading and Riding Northwest Backroads
    K7PNW

Thread Information