Thread: N E wash ghost towns and mines

Bookmark and Share

Default N E wash ghost towns and mines

My wife and I are planning a week long trip to N E wash state to check old ghost towns and abandoned mines. Does anyone have any experience in this area? I have a book called GOLD CREEKS and GHOST TOWNS by N.L Barlee that we plan on using as a starting point guide. We plan on roughing it on this trip. No campground camping for us! hammock camping under the stars, outdoor solar showers etc. We don't take water, we filter local water. May do a little fishing possibly and do some panning if opportunity presents its self. Taking the Jeep Cherokee with the dog and back packing gear with a few niceties to boot! lol Any suggestions or help would be great! Thanks so much folks. I like having more than one vehicle but this time Im thinking were on our own, unless someone just has to go too! lol
    Last edited by backwoods3; 07-13-2016 at 21:33.
    Anything you do in the great outdoors, CANT be ALL bad!
    As long as you can do it in the back country!

Sounds like a fun trip. Hope you have a great time.

I haven't spent a whole lot of time in that area, so I wouldn't be much help. But think it would make a great trip. When I was working around the Chewelah area 13+ years ago, I had an old timer tell me to watch where I was going because of old mine shafts in the area. Unfortunately that was all he told me (no locations). Not sure if he was just blowing smoke, didn't remember the locations, or "there is no way in @$LL I am going to tell is kid where my honey hole is." No matter though, you will half to let us know how it turns out when you get back.
    Eric, KG7SEJ
    I have never been lost, but I was bewildered once for three days. -Daniel Boone

Northern Okanogan, northern Ferry and NW Stevens Counties are some of my favorite areas. Several "Ghost Towns", if you will, still a few people living in most of them. Loomis, Nighthawk, Molson, Chesaw, Curlew, Orient and others. Can't place any specific mines other than commercial operations around Republic, but they are out there. Plenty of old iron, buildings, etc, that date back to turn of the century and earlier. Bet you guys will have fun!
    Jerry
    Reading and Riding Northwest Backroads
    K7PNW

Sounds like a great way to spend a week.
    Steve

K9PNW | Exploring the Pacific Northwest in my 1992 Toyota FJ80 Land Cruiser

Pacific Northwest Backroad Adventures - Pacific Northwest Outdoor Adventure Forums

Steve G. Bisig Photography
    - Pacific Northwest Photography: Nature, Landscapes, Rural, Urban

Thread Information