Thread: Valley of the Giants - 4 June 2016

Bookmark and Share

Default Valley of the Giants - 4 June 2016

After several years of trying we finally drove to/hiked the Valley of the Giants (west of Salem OR).

We drove to Dallas, then Falls City and started towards the site of the former town of Valsetz.

About halfway to Valsetz we fell in behind a slowly moving caravan of 6 cars and followed them to the VOG.

Approaching 80 degrees when we started the half mile hike to the bottom, crossed the bridge and turned left for the .4 mile hike.
    Some nice examples of old growth doug fir. Hiked back up to the parking lot. 6 more cars since we arrived. This qualifies for mob
    scene at the VOG.

Came back around the south side of what was the old lake and then SE to just below Peedee OR.

100 degrees back in Beaverton.

Good trip.

Toy Man

PS: Will be starting OBCDR Rt. 5 later this month. Last ran it in 2000 - 2002.

PSS: Site will not let me post an inline picture. Let's if I can link to one.
    https://smile.amazon.com/clouddrive/...hare_link_copy
    Attached Images Attached Images

Neat little trip. Have never been there, but have wanted to go. Boy those trees are big! We had a good sized Dug Fir at our place on Whidbey Island that measured over 6' diameter, but that was just a baby compared to those you visited. Thanks for the post and it's good knowing you are still out and about. Looking forward to reading many more trip reports from the Toy Man!
    Jerry
    Reading and Riding Northwest Backroads
    K7PNW

Still quite a bit of active logging in the area. I would not recommend driving to the VOG on weekdays.

Thread Information