Thread: Custom fab radio mount

Bookmark and Share

Default Custom fab radio mount

So I just added a Midland 75-822 CB to the Tundra’s comms. It’s a neat concept in that the entire radio is in the hand mic. It also comes with a stand alone battery pack and rubber duck antenna to use it as a handheld. I don’t foresee myself using this feature, but it’s nice to have the option.

This was in addition to my 2m Ham radio, a Vertex VX-150. It’s a 5w handheld that I have attached to a 1/2 wave vehicle mounted antenna. Obviously more limited than a full on mobile rig. But works great for trail comm and I can usually hit a repeater with it if I need to.

The downside is that both these radios, being handheld oriented, don’t have mic mount buttons on the back. They have pocket/belt clips. So they’ve just been floating around the cab of my truck on the end of a cable leash, or taking up a cupholder, or wedged between the seats…you get the idea.

So I decided to fab a mount to hold both of them. Turned out pretty well if I do say so myself…

Sent from my OnePlus One using Tapatalk.

Nice job. How do you like the Midland? Any dis likes about it?

Thanks! I've only had the radio a short time and haven't been on the air with anyone yet. From just playing around with it, my only negative comment is that the backlight automatically times out after a few seconds with no way to change it. Which is smart if you're using it as a handheld with limited battery power but a non issue when plugged into a vehicle. Minor gripe though. All in all I'm happy with the purchase. I really like not having a base box to have to mount somewhere. Even the similar cobra 75 has a small box you have to find a home for.

Good job, Aaron. It looks very professional.
    Jerry
    Reading and Riding Northwest Backroads
    K7PNW

Thanks Jerry!

Thread Information