Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Upgraded to General

Bookmark and Share

Default Upgraded to General

Whoa! Howdy. Evelyn twisted my arm to drive her to Ellensburg this morning where she upgraded to General Class!!! You know what that means, since she is a General I will have to salute her! Well, I do anyway. For the next two weeks or so, until the FCC posts her new status, her call will be KG7WMC/AG or, as she puts it, Kilo Golf 7 William, Mike, Charlie And Grandma. Heh, heh, heh.
    Jerry
    Reading and Riding Northwest Backroads
    K7PNW

And does she have her own radios.

If so will they take over the quilting room?

Inquiring minds want to know.

Quote Originally Posted by Toy Man View Post
    And does she have her own radios.

If so will they take over the quilting room?

Inquiring minds want to know.
    I have been telling her for years that the sewing room would make a great man cave. All I would have to do is make it bigger. She has always said, "Yeah, right!" But, now there is a possibility that she may actually build it for me!

Seriously, I set up another Icom 706MKIIG all-band/all-mode mobile radio with a power supply, one box on top of the other, on the corner of her desk so she could play with it while she was studying. I also had a spare multi-band wire antenna that I strung through a row of Japanese Cherry trees that are outside her sewing room. The wire is between 6 and 8 feet off the ground and makes a right-angle turn where it should not. I knew it would work for receive, but it turns out that transmit is close to being resonant on all the bands with the highest SWR being 2.3 on 80 meters. Since she would not be transmitting all that much, we could live with it. I also put up a 2m/440 ground plane, an old mobile antenna with an inexpensive 4-radial ground plane kit fastened to the end of a long pipe that once served as the top rail to a chain link fence. I leaned the pipe against a V in the roof line, at maybe a 30 degree angle, and the antenna works just fine. Coax feed lines go out the bottom corner of the back door under the rubber threshold gasket. Naturally this was designed to be temporary, but it could turn into something more permanent if she so desires.

Another thing, the low-to-the-ground wire antenna shows how easy it is to set up a portable emergency station in case mobile vertical antennas don't do the job. In this case we could have used small trees, tall sagebrush or other shrubs holding the wire off the ground. Based on what I have read I doubt you would want to go much lower than 4 feet, but a wire antenna will actually work to some degree while it is laying on the ground. For those who are interested in low mounted wire antennas look up "NVIS antenna" on the web.

Okay, Toy Man, does that answer your question? Don't you wish you hadn't asked?
    Last edited by Jerry; 10-18-2015 at 13:59.
    Jerry
    K7PNW

Oh my, what has Evelyn done now? She requested a vanity call that was granted just today. Oh my, oh my, oh my! Her new call sign is...K7OMY, (Oh My!).
    Jerry
    K7PNW

What have you unleased?

Steve

K9PNW | Exploring the Pacific Northwest in my 1992 Toyota FJ80 Land Cruiser

Pacific Northwest Backroad Adventures - Pacific Northwest Outdoor Adventure Forums

Steve G. Bisig Photography
    - Pacific Northwest Photography: Nature, Landscapes, Rural, Urban

Quote Originally Posted by Steve View Post
    What have you unleased?

I don't know. Any suggestions? (Oh my!)
    Jerry
    K7PNW

Quote Originally Posted by Steve View Post
    What have you unleased?
    Ah,...er...she's done it again. Evelyn passed the AMATEUR EXTRA exam this morning! At least I won't have to salute her anymore since she is no longer a General
    Class operator.
    Jerry
    K7PNW

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry View Post
    Ah,...er...she's done it again. Evelyn passed the AMATEUR EXTRA exam this morning! At least I won't have to salute her anymore since she is no longer a General
    Class operator.
    WOW. You might need to spring for a nice shiny new base station for her.
    Eric, KG7SEJ
    I have never been lost, but I was bewildered once for three days. -Daniel Boone

Shhh, Eric, not so loud !
    Jerry
    K7PNW

And some new antennas.

Thread Information