Thread: Mountain Loop Highway: Granite Falls to Darrington, Washington, 10/9/2015

Bookmark and Share

Default Mountain Loop Highway: Granite Falls to Darrington, Washington, 10/9/2015

I have wanted to make this drive for a long time, but never made the time to actually do it. With the Autumn colors on display, it was a great excuse to go shoot photos.

Of course, like many of my drives, I chose a rainy day so I know that I missed a lot of great scenery that was obscured by the low hanging clouds. Nevertheless, I got some great photos.

I decided to start the drive from the South side so I would be further North at the end of the loop and if I had enough time, which I didnít, I could tie in another leg to explore.

After Granite Falls at daybreak, I made multiple stops to make photographs:

Turlo Campground.

Gold Basin Mill Pond.

I drove up Forest Road 4052 (Deer Creek) to roads end and made the short hike up to a fogged in Kelcema Lake (may 1/4 a mile hike). By this time, there was a steady rain that probably lasted a good six hours.

I stopped at the Big Four Mountain park, however the mountain was obscured by clouds.

Not long after, I was at Barlow Pass, where the road turned to nice smooth gravel.

South Fork Sauk River.

Myrtle Lake.

I drove up Forest Road 49, much of which was blanketed with fallen maple leaves. I found a small pond that I hiked down to shoot photos of, possibly an old beaver pond. Because it was getting late in the day, I turned around at North Fork Suak Trailhead.

My final stop of the day was at the White Chuck River valley overlook.

It wasnít long before I was in Darrington and on my way home.

On the highway from Darrington to Arlington, I passed the site of the Oso mudslide. Seeing the devastation in person is much greater than seeing photos or news coverage.

Normally this drive could be made in only a few hours, however it was an all day adventure for me because I was constantly stopping to evaluate areas for taking photos. Iíll have to plan for a repeat on a clearer day so I can see the mountains along this route.

All photos taken with my iPhone.
    Steve

K9PNW | Exploring the Pacific Northwest in my 1992 Toyota FJ80 Land Cruiser

Pacific Northwest Backroad Adventures - Pacific Northwest Outdoor Adventure Forums

Steve G. Bisig Photography
    - Pacific Northwest Photography: Nature, Landscapes, Rural, Urban

Very nice, Steve! Most enjoyable. Used to go up that way quite a bit when we lived in the Everett area. 1st trip and 10th anniversary trip for Backroad Drivers as well. Drove that route on occasion when I was selling heavy equipment and later when I was in real estate I listed some properties up that way. Just a really nice drive even in the rain. Thank you!
    Jerry
    Reading and Riding Northwest Backroads
    K7PNW

Despite the rain, it looks like it was a nice drive. I have been in that area for work and it truly is a beautiful area, even in the rain.
    Eric, KG7SEJ
    ďI have never been lost, but I was bewildered once for three days.Ē -Daniel Boone

Thread Information