Thread: Did You Go Out This Weekend?

Bookmark and Share

Default Did You Go Out This Weekend?

Is anyone hitting the backroads this weekend? How about last weekend or before? You know, backroads can be anything from lonesome highways to 4x4 trails, paved, gravel or dirt. Driving paved county roads through scenic landscapes is just as interesting as spending a day off-road. They both make for a fun time and an enjoyable read.

I for one would like to hear about your adventures and I'm sure many others would as well.
    Jerry
    Reading and Riding Northwest Backroads
    K7PNW

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry View Post
    I for one would like to hear about your adventures and I'm sure many others would as well.
    We were on a road trip to Hwy 101/1 in N. California several weeks ago and are in Newport OR now.

Been trying to hike the Valley of the Giants since this spring but the gates have been closed to due to the fire danger.

Today seemed perfect - the fire danger levels are low and a sunny day. So off Logsden and then north along the Siletz River.
    Been awhile since I was there so I missed a turn and ended up high on ridge. Talked to game warden and he said that the
    area around the VOG was still closed. Well damn but we still had a nice drive on some roads new to me.

Toy Man
    Last edited by Toy Man; 10-06-2015 at 12:47.

didn't go this weekend, 2 weekends ago went to cle elum, up 4510 road, down the 3300 to 33rd to thorp, then freeway / highway to the woodshed for late lunch, then home over chinook.
    2 weeks before that took a friend over stampede to the 52 road, then up green pass, down to little naches.
    been trying to do some woods driving every couple of weeks this summer

Working today, then drive home to Whidbey on Sunday. At least its a pretty drive once I see the water.
    Steve

K9PNW | Exploring the Pacific Northwest in my 1992 Toyota FJ80 Land Cruiser

Pacific Northwest Backroad Adventures - Pacific Northwest Outdoor Adventure Forums

Steve G. Bisig Photography
    - Pacific Northwest Photography: Nature, Landscapes, Rural, Urban

Last Saturday the family and I headed over Greens Pass and drop down the Tie Road into Lester. Ran around Tacoma Pass and Meadow Pass for a few hours then up over Stamped Pass to 90 and home. We tried the same trip the weekend before, but had it cut short on top of Greens Pass due to a broken front axle. Though out the week I was running around Blewett Pass and the Chumstick hwy out of Leavenworth, and ended up back around Lester and the Tie Road for work on Friday, going over Greens Pass on the way home.
    Eric, KG7SEJ
    I have never been lost, but I was bewildered once for three days. -Daniel Boone

Quote Originally Posted by lost in the woods View Post
    Last Saturday the family and I headed over Greens Pass and drop down the Tie Road into Lester. Ran around Tacoma Pass and Meadow Pass for a few hours then up over Stamped Pass to 90 and home. We tried the same trip the weekend before, but had it cut short on top of Greens Pass due to a broken front axle. Though out the week I was running around Blewett Pass and the Chumstick hwy out of Leavenworth, and ended up back around Lester and the Tie Road for work on Friday, going over Greens Pass on the way home.
    Very cool. I like the country around Lester and the adjacent passes. Lot's of history, too. Several years ago we did "Six Passes in Six Hours" with, I think, the PNW Backroad Adventure folks, otherwise it was with Backroad Drivers Northwest. At any rate the trip report is on file somewhere not far from this post. We started with Snoqualmie Pass, then Yakima Pass, then if my memory serves next came Meadowbrook followed by Stampede, Tacoma and Green Passes. Your escapades in that area bring back good memories. FYI, back in my days as a Caterpillar Tractor salesman I made occasional calls on Scott Paper Co at their operation in Lester before the gates were permanently closed and the town absorbed into the Tacoma Watershed.
    Jerry
    K7PNW

There is definitely a lot of history around that whole area, between the railroad, logging industry, old homesteads and towns. Most of the time you run across old house hold items like old bottles or rusted out tin cans. Other times you may find old wooden water pipes running along some of the larger creeks. I have tripped over an old foundation that was covered by ferns and landed in someones front room before. It is funny how many people I run across that lived in Lester when it was still around, or like you, would find them self's in Lester for one reason or another.
    Eric, KG7SEJ
    I have never been lost, but I was bewildered once for three days. -Daniel Boone

Quote Originally Posted by Toy Man View Post
    We were on a road trip to Hwy 101/1 in N. California several weeks ago and are in Newport OR now.

Been trying to hike the Valley of the Giants since this spring but the gates have been closed to due to the fire danger.

Today seemed perfect - the fire danger levels are low and a sunny day. So off Losden and then north along the Siletz River.
    Been awhile since I was there so I missed a turn and ended up high on ridge. Talked to game warden and he said that the
    area around the VOG was still closed. Well damn but we still had a nice drive on some roads new to me.

Toy Man
    I just KNEW that Toy Man would have something up his sleeve in the way of a weekend drive! That sounds really nice, Dick. Lot's of interesting scenery down that way and getting in some unexpected exploring is always fun.
    Jerry
    K7PNW

Thread Information