Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Toy Man's rants

Bookmark and Share

Testing
    Steve

K9PNW | Exploring the Pacific Northwest in my 1992 Toyota FJ80 Land Cruiser

Pacific Northwest Backroad Adventures - Pacific Northwest Outdoor Adventure Forums

Steve G. Bisig Photography
    - Pacific Northwest Photography: Nature, Landscapes, Rural, Urban

I'm not sure what happened. I was able to reopen the thread and merged the two together. Hopefully it works now.
    Steve

K9PNW | Exploring the Pacific Northwest in my 1992 Toyota FJ80 Land Cruiser

Pacific Northwest Backroad Adventures - Pacific Northwest Outdoor Adventure Forums

Steve G. Bisig Photography
    - Pacific Northwest Photography: Nature, Landscapes, Rural, Urban

Thanks Steve.

Added storage:

These mods might give you some ideas for your rig.

Recessed roof rack.
    There are several recessed roof racks that I could have purchased. Most of them made of square steel tubing and available with just about any option you can imagine.
    But - I did not want the weight and I wanted max width and recessed depth. So I started experimenting. And a number of versions later I ended with this which
    uses 'thin' Uni-strut and a product called Gridwall.

I use it to carry my Rotopax gas cans laid horizontally. I can easily carry my three 3 gallon and one 2 gallon containers.
    The bubble wrap insulation is just an experiment but I think I will keep it.

Two 3 gallon gas containers. I painted them Olive Drab and labeled them WATER so they would be less likely to 'grow legs".

Cargo area top rack:
    All Xterra's (except the base X model) have 4 hooks extending down from the ceiling in the rear cargo area.
    Shortly after the first 2000 Xterra came out a user on one of the Xterra forums came up with an idea to
    hang a rack from these hooks. His forum name was Sgt. Lobo hence the generic name of Lobo rack is used to describe these.
    There as many variations as there are users. This is mine. 18" x 48" black wire shelving and stubby wire shelving legs, all turned upside down.

I always carry a LOT of emergency/recovery and various stuff on this rack. Probably the best storage feature in my vehicle.

Bottom cargo area rack:
    The top rack worked so well I thought why not turn it upside down and put one on the floor of the cargo area.
    Again there are commercial racks available but I wanted one 'my way'.

So 24" x" 48 black wire shelving, some cast iron pipe and it was done. Easily removed but I leave it in most of the time.
    When it is in I carry my Hydra-Jac on it. http://www.radflo.com/hydra_jac.htm

The burlap wrapped bundled suspended from the rack edge contains my scissor jack and tire changing tools.

The height is just right to slip milk crates/8 gallon Action Packers underneath it.

Bottom layer: Action packer with sleeping bag inside, blue milk crate with food and cooking gear, black milk crate with drinking water.
    Top layer: Hydra-Jac, Axe, MaxTrac's, shovel and short tow strap. Now that I am not cooking when camping I can combine my food and water
    in one milk crate and put ??? in the other one. I pack a little differently every time.

Fully packed and ready for a trip of almost any length. The blue bag contains a tarp.

Clothing and sleeping arrangements to be shown later.

Toy Man
    Last edited by Toy Man; 07-03-2015 at 13:46.

Sleeping arrangements.

It was a big event for me once I finally figured out how to sleep in the Xterra.

No tent to carry/setup/takedown/dry out/put away. Huge time savings.

No problems when it rained or there were high winds.

On 2005+ Xterra's the rear of the back seat can be folded flat (after removing the bottom of the seat).
    Combining that with the flat floor of the cargo area this gives you 5' to stretch out on. Slightly more on a diagonal.
    Not enough for me. Forum user Mosi discover that if you move the front seat all the way forward and tilt up the back
    of the front seat an 8 gallon Action Packer box will exactly fill the space between the front seat and the folded down
    rear seat AND provide an extra 14" of flat surface.

I unfold my Alps Mountaineering Comfort Air pad and lay it out, pull my sleeping bag from the Action Packer and lay it
    on top of the air pad and it is time Sleep Time. About 3 - 5 minutes work and the same to put it away.
    (I fold up one of my jackets to provide a pillow.)

And having the rear cargo area floor rack installed means that I sleep under it and put my shoes/clothes, flash light, etc.
    on top of the rack so they will be out of the way and easy to find/reach when if (when) I wake up in the middle of the night.
    Last edited by Toy Man; 07-03-2015 at 11:48.

Small add-on's:

Trash bin and tissue holder.

External Ham and CB radio speakers.

These are a big help in assisting me in hearing radio chatter. Left ear - HAM; right ear - CB.
    The head rest is from a 2010 Murano. Much better than the standard Xterra headrest.

Obusforme lowback rest:

This lets me drive for hours instead of minutes. I don't drive anywhere without.
    I have had it for years and the black tape is where I finally wore a hole in it.
    http://goo.gl/oWfwfh

2" foam seat pad.

Ball point holder, 12V hub and hook for plastic grocery bags.

Toy Man
    Last edited by Toy Man; 07-03-2015 at 12:20.

Clothing and bags:

I have two LL Bean small duffel bags that I carry my personal gear and clothing in. http://goo.gl/dBnw3q

The first bag contains Bath Wipes (or sometimes I will use a solar shower), two smaller Eagle Creek bags (one for electronic stuff and one for toiletries),
    a small Ziploc bag for other little items, reading glasses, a small, light nylon roll up backpack and ??.

The second bag is for my clothes.
    I am a recent convert to nylon pants - comfortable, light, packs very small, stain proof (so far) and very fast drying.
    For 'T' and polo shirts, underwear and socks I am Mr. Polyester.

I can carry 9 days of shirts, underwear and sock plus a change pants in this bag.
    I also carry a good sized microfiber towel, small laundry soaps and a dirty clothes bag in it.

These two bags go on the floor behind the passenger front seat.

I take light and heavy jackets, a floppy hat, gloves and an extra pair of shoes.

This is all I can think of. I have posted my thread(s) on computer mapping and other electronic toys elsewhere on the forum.
    Correction - I thought I had posted the threads but I cannot find them. May have to get ambitious and post them again.

Your input invited.

Dick - toy Man
    Last edited by Toy Man; 07-03-2015 at 14:17.

You should start a magazine opposite of overland journal called overland sticky note

Sent from my OnePlus One using Tapatalk.

Too much like work...

Thanks for all the tips and ideas, Dick. I have already ordered the straps and have my eyes on other tips as well. I sure appreciate the time and thought you put into packing your truck and then sharing it with us. I know that sooner or later many of your ideas will find their way into my rigs. Thanks again.
    Jerry
    Reading and Riding Northwest Backroads
    K7PNW

Thread Information