Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Toy Man's rants

Bookmark and Share

I am describing what I do to give you some ideas. You have to decide your own path.

I will start with probably the most controversial suggestion for saving space -

Get rid of the cooler/refrigerator...

Doing so results in:
    A big space saving.
    No more worrying about ice or keeping things cool.

The disadvantages are:
    No cold beer (or soda, water or other liquids).
    No fresh meat to cook.
    No food or other items that need to be kept cold or cool.
    You will also have to revise what you cook/eat. This is not simple or easy.

For me it became the single best thing I did to regain space and make life on trips simpler.
    Last edited by Toy Man; 06-28-2015 at 12:24.

I try to make it standard practice to always select and copy what I want to post before clicking that button
    I usually do this also but of course the one time I did not it - ZAP.

Quote Originally Posted by Toy Man View Post
    Well damn - I just lost a big post. Will try re-create it and post it later.
    Doesn't that just tick you off? Many times I get so ticked that I just drop the whole thing. And it's usually nobody else's fault, but mine.
    Jerry
    Reading and Riding Northwest Backroads
    K7PNW

Lets talk about cooking:

This is my current setup:

MSR WhisperLite Universal stove, MSR push-button ignitor, GSI Pinnacle Soloist cooking pot and a thick plastic cup to eat out of.
    On a small, compact lightweight stand.

After cooking I use a paper towel to wipe out the pot and cup and throw the plastic spoon I use in the trash.

The Chair is neither small, compact or light but after trying many other chairs it is the one I use.

Toy Man
    Last edited by Toy Man; 06-29-2015 at 03:55.

I like!

Chairs: Good support on loose ground with the bars running from front to back at ground level. Mine are similar, just wider and hold up to 400# for my manly physique. I like the built-in tray, should have ordered that when I bought mine.

Table: I would like one as compact and light weight, but more substantial. Mine appears to be the same as yours and mine wants to fall down with the slightest bump or misplaced kick. Darned near lost the mini-Coleman stove, propane bottle, fry pan and utensils and did loose the bacon and eggs on the trip to the West Side of Owyhee Reservoir. The stove was still burning as it headed toward the ground and the first thing that came to mind was a grass fire!

Gas stove: Nice, very compact. I tried using those 12v water heaters you find for sale at the truck stops, but always had some sort of problem. Still hoping I can get them to work. Great for freeze dried foods, soup, etc.

I DO like your minimalist approach to backroad camping. Spend as little time as possible in camp, get on the road early and drive until late. Of course it would be a different story if the objective was camping out.

Looking forward to hearing more space and weight saving tips.
    Jerry
    K7PNW

Now that I have described my cooking setup I will admit I did not use it on my trip earlier this month.

I just drink water on trips so less to pack. (Although I will not pass up a cold beer if offered one.)

Not being a coffee drinker makes it is easy for me to just snack in the morning. Ditto for lunch.

The first night of the trip we were in Silver City ID and I ate at the cafe.

The second night was at Three Forks and I sat in the river, BS'd, snacked and realized I was full.

The third night was at a camp ground in Nevada foothills but about 5:00pm we had stopped for gas just north of Owyhee NV and I had a quick burrito
    there and just munchies after getting into camp.

Thinking about this after I arrived home I realized that none of our many driving/camping trips have been more than 3 nights before we found a cafe.

Hmmm - I may not cook anymore on camping trips of 3 nights or less.

Snack ideas: small self-opening cans of fruit. (These are becoming extinct. I may have to switch to plastic fruit cups in the future.)
    Breakfast bars, Pop tarts, jerky, M&M peanut candies, etc. I am always checking food markets shelves for new ideas.
    Oh yes - and some of my wife's brownies.
    Last edited by Toy Man; 06-29-2015 at 04:20.

Deleted as it is duplicated in the following post.

Toy Man
    Last edited by Toy Man; 07-03-2015 at 08:55. Reason: as

Default Toy Man's Rants - II

Securing stuff:

I am a big believer in securing anything heavier than a box of Kleenex.

For small or lightweight items I will generally use a bungee cord or double sided velcro tape.

For larger/heavier items I use cam buckle straps.

Specifically these straps from NRS.
    http://www.nrs.com/product/1440/nrs-...ie-down-straps
    http://www.nrs.com/product/1444/nrs-1-loop-straps
    You want the polypropylene webbing (not nylon) and the 1" straps are easier to use than the 1.5" straps.
    I have never found another brand worth a damn.

What - you say you use ratchet straps. Throw the d*mn things away and try these.

Let the flames begin.

Toy Man
    Last edited by Toy Man; 07-03-2015 at 08:55.

Thanks for the links. I ordered three different sizes of the straps to hold down 2 gross of breakfast bars and 20 gallons of 1/2 oz. containers of fruit cups. Well, it is true that I ordered the straps. Hope I guessed correctly at the sizes.
    Last edited by Jerry; 06-30-2015 at 20:24.
    Jerry
    K7PNW

"Stuff expands to fill all available space."

And with that in mind I start a series of posts on how I fill the available space in my Xterra.

Storage spaces that come stock with the Xterra:

Roof bin:

Contains air compressor, jumper cables and support blocks for jacking.

Dual glove compartments

Upper one is for small electronics. Lower one - stuff

A large console storage bin with a 12V outlet.

Deeper than it looks. Stores a LOT of goodies.

Under seat storage area front and back.
    No pictures of the front seat storage but I carry a 2.5 lb fire extinguisher under each plus a small umbrella, gloves, small binoculars and an 115 A/C inverter.

Rear seat:

Rolled up window screening with HAM and CB antennas inside. Xterra manual and box on far side.
    In the center you can just see a handle sticking out. That is a 4 ton come-along in the space where the scissors jack would normally be.

Front doors storage pockets and drink holders

Showing drivers side. Water bottle, sting/tick kit, DEET, Leatherman, window cleaner and a bag containing various small articles that might be needed.
    Passenger side has another water bottle and a small bag for first aid/medicines - band aids, aspirin, cough drops, etc;

I added the web pockets to all of my doors and rear hatch. (From a Land Rover outfitter as I recall.)

Rear door.

Cargo area 'basement'

Tools and parts. Most used item - the 3 lb hammer.

First aid kit

A well stocked first aid kit. Now you know what that bump in Xterra's rear hatch door is for.

Drivers side rear cargo area net holder with a larger molded pocket behind it. Just a larger net on the opposite side.
    Toilet paper, small plastic shovel, trash bags and stuff. Other side holds extra cam straps and more stuff.

A piece of thin steel I Velcro'd to the rear wheel molding for holding an emergency flasher and super magnets.
    I use the magnets to 'tack up' window netting, windshield reflective screen and a reflective space blanket on the
    side of the Xterra when in camp and the sun is baking. The space blanket can make a BIG temp. difference inside the vehicle.

The other fender well has the same piece of steel with more magnets.

Tarp and space blanket in use - keeping cool at White Pockets. You also see a 3 gallon (front) and 2 gallon (rear) gas containers on the roof rack.

Toy Man
    Last edited by Toy Man; 07-03-2015 at 12:13.

Thread Information