Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Toy Man's rants

Bookmark and Share

Default Toy Man's rants

This is 'marker' to remind me to post on a series of thoughts I have been mulling on
    about simpler, smaller and lighter gear.

IE: The complete opposite of anything the Overland Journal magazine writes about.

Toy Man - cranking up the rant machine.

"Damnit - You have all of the toys. I'm going to call you the Toy Man"
    Last edited by Toy Man; 06-27-2015 at 08:46.

Let's hear it!

Some of my background:

When I was single I did long distance touring around the US on a 500cc motorcycle.
    Tools/parts/emergency gear in the fairing and an attache case in the back for everything else.

Then after marriage we did multi-day raft trips on remote rivers with a 14' (small) cataraft.
    That forced us to really think about what we 'had' to take vs what we 'wanted' to take.

In 2000 I purchased a Nissan Xterra (because it had the stoutest roof rails to carry the raft frames) and sort of
    fell into 4x4'ing.

Being a newbie to 4x4'ing I started by reading everything I could and read about all sorts of goodies/toy that convinced me
    I had to have them. So - the usual silliness of trying to make the Xterra into a rock crawler. And I did - sort of.

Did the rock crawling smash and crash thing which taught me a lot but when I bought my 2010 Xterra I had some long thoughts about
    what I really wanted to do.

I decided what I really wanted to do was to drive to interesting places which tended to be in remote places.
    So - something that would take me to these remote places (and get me back).

Let's see: Custom Alcan leaf springs with 2.5" lift and a 450 lb overload, Bilstein 5150 shocks (GREAT shocks), rock sliders, some light under armor,
    a steel rear bumper because the Xterra had no rear tow points or hitch and a few other items I will probably cover later. And tires - started out with 4 or 5 sets
    of BFG AT K/O's. Tough tire but worthless in mud. This was before the latest series. Then Goodyear DuraTrac's which had decent mud traction but wore quickly
    and were really loud at 30K. Currently running Goodyear Kevlar Adventure tires and I like them a lot. But the important thing is Load range E - (remember the getting back part?)

And these thoughts/rants will be me traveling single in the Xterra as when the wife is along I begin to have thoughts about purchasing a trailer....

Dick - Toy Man
    Last edited by Toy Man; 06-27-2015 at 11:45.

Quote Originally Posted by Toy Man View Post

And these thoughts/rants will be me traveling single in the Xterra as when the wife is along for camping I begin to have thoughts about purchasing a trailer....

Dick - Toy Man
    Oh Oh! Starting down the slippery slope!

I started out hiking and climbing many years ago now, and got used to primitive camping and with very rare exceptions never getting a good night's sleep so I don't expect camping to be comfortable or pleasant. I still go by the motto that if it was always "fun" everyone would be doing it and things would be crowded out there. Strange how I survived for several days with what I could carry on my back (except water which was always available, or at least could be made from melted snow) Now with the truck the gear weighs hundreds of pounds. I still don't sleep any better, but some of that seems to come with more years under my belt.

I subscribed to Overland Journal for several years, but finally let it lapse. I wasn't going to do the kinds of things they wrote about and a lot of the gear was way over the top for me. Expensive camp kitchens, etc. etc. I still have to laugh in sort of a cynical way about a review they had on camp chairs... seems like some of those things were hundreds of dollars! If I'm out by myself, there has never been much time for sitting in a chair. And then the super expensive storage cases! I use cheap plastic totes that survive the infrequent trips I make and if they don't I'm not going to perish because of it. Then there is the whole concept of "expeditions"... definitely no trip worthy of that name in the US and maybe not the world anymore.

But I'm sidetracking Toy Man's rant thread with my own, so I'd better go work on some projects and wait to read more of his comments.

Alan

Keep going. I want to hear more.

I've seen Dick's compact storage and easy meal preparations. He has put a lot of thought into it and I hope he tells us about both.
    Jerry
    Reading and Riding Northwest Backroads
    K7PNW

...as when the wife is along I begin to have thoughts about purchasing a trailer....
    That's where I'm at as well.

Steve
    Steve

K9PNW | Exploring the Pacific Northwest in my 1992 Toyota FJ80 Land Cruiser

Pacific Northwest Backroad Adventures - Pacific Northwest Outdoor Adventure Forums

Steve G. Bisig Photography
    - Pacific Northwest Photography: Nature, Landscapes, Rural, Urban

There are a lot of people who "live the lifestyle" who never actually do anything (web overlanders). They buy the latest gadget and can talk gear and techniques all day (because they've seen it on youtube) and seem to have unlimited funds to buy it all.

Steve
    Steve

K9PNW | Exploring the Pacific Northwest in my 1992 Toyota FJ80 Land Cruiser

Pacific Northwest Backroad Adventures - Pacific Northwest Outdoor Adventure Forums

Steve G. Bisig Photography
    - Pacific Northwest Photography: Nature, Landscapes, Rural, Urban

I generally believe Less is Better.

Questions I ask myself:

Can I do without it?

Is there something smaller?

Or simpler.

Or lighter.

But of course the Toy Man will generally buy something he drools over just to try it.
    And sometimes I use/keep the new toy.

And if I can fab something with my drill press and hand tools instead of buying - well that is a bonus.

Well damn - I just lost a big post. Will try re-create it and post it later.

Well damn - I just lost a big post. Will try re-create it and post it later.
    I try to make it standard practice to always select and copy what I want to post before clicking that button. It has saved me a few times.

Thread Information