Thread: Repeater Information

Bookmark and Share

Default Repeater Information

I have a suggestion for everyone who uses 2m/440 and other repeater frequencies. This is for all hams, old-timers and new-comers alike. Unless you have already read it and keep the information handy to your station, I recommend that you buy, beg, borrow or steal a copy of the ARRL Repeater Directory. The repeater listing section is ok (a bit limited in my opinion), but I am talking about something even better. It is the information printed at the beginning of the book.

It tells us about repeater operating practices, repeater coordination, interference, offsets, special codes used in the repeater listings, the how to's and why's of CTCSS or PL tones, info about band plans, regional frequency coordination, a roster of the frequency coordinators including their call signs, street and email addresses, repeater lingo plus ARRL Message Forms, Radiograms and instructions. It doesn't take long to read and after you have done so you will remember what you need right now and will know where to find the other information if and when you need it.

One other thing. Under Repeater Listings for Washington, notice how they summarize the Band Plans before listing individual repeater frequencies. Even if you live outside Washington, look it up anyway because they don't do it for Oregon, Idaho, Montana or BC and the Washington Band Plan is pretty close to the others, close enough to get a good idea of where you should be when you pick a frequency out of the blue to program into your radio.

As my friend Porky says, "That's all, folks!"
    Last edited by Jerry; 03-23-2015 at 09:15.
    Jerry
    Reading and Riding Northwest Backroads
    K7PNW

I'll have to check it out.

There are also apps for your smart phone that lists the nearest repeaters to your specific location, with offsets, CTCSS and tones, etc including when you're offline.

By the way, I have an operating radio in my Land Cruiser. More on that later.
    Steve

K9PNW | Exploring the Pacific Northwest in my 1992 Toyota FJ80 Land Cruiser

Pacific Northwest Backroad Adventures - Pacific Northwest Outdoor Adventure Forums

Steve G. Bisig Photography
    - Pacific Northwest Photography: Nature, Landscapes, Rural, Urban

Quote Originally Posted by Steve View Post
    I'll have to check it out.
    There are also apps for your smart phone that lists the nearest repeaters to your specific location, with offsets, CTCSS and tones, etc including when you're offline.
    I think the smart phone app is a good one to have, but to my knowledge it does not contain repeater operating practices. If it does, I stand corrected and recommend that folks read up on the subject no matter the source.

By the way, I have an operating radio in my Land Cruiser. More on that later.
    Hey, that's great! Can't wait to talk with you on the radio. Hope the programming went well.
    Jerry
    K7PNW

The directory is listed in Google Play store (for Android phones/tablets)

Search for The ARRL Repeater Directory. Have just downloaded but have not tried it out.

Toy Man

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry View Post
    I think the smart phone app is a good one to have, but to my knowledge it does not contain repeater operating practices. If it does, I stand corrected and recommend that folks read up on the subject no matter the source.
    Of the two repeater apps that I have downloaded, you are correct.

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry View Post
    Hey, that's great! Can't wait to talk with you on the radio. Hope the programming went well.
    I finished the install last night at 10:30. I know it receives and send some signal out to my HT. Beyond that, I can't say.

I'll probably manually program for now, mainly because I didn't buy a cable yet, plus I don't have a laptop to take to the rig at the moment.

Steve
    Steve

Pacific Northwest Backroad Adventures - Pacific Northwest Outdoor Adventure Forums

...I didn't buy a cable yet, plus I don't have a laptop to take to the rig at the moment.
    Steve
    You need the cable for sure, but you can save a few bucks by buying a power supply instead of a laptop and take the radio to your PC and the new power supply. If you decide to buy a power supply you may as well buy one large enough to power an all-band, all-mode radio in case you pick one up down the road, say a 25 amp model.

I am laughing as I type this because when I used software to program my first radio it was on my desk with a very small amount of flat surface. I had a drawer pulled out from a file cabinet and set the radio on top of the Pendaflex folders, the power supply was sitting on top of the printer and a mag mount antenna was stuck to the top of the file cabinet. Wires were going in every which direction including one over the door jam. Once I had the frequency info typed into the spread sheet it only took a few seconds to program the radio. After that I was like a little kid, scanning frequencies for hours and at the same time looking up more frequencies from various sources on the Internet.

- - - Updated - - -
    Last edited by Jerry; 03-23-2015 at 11:00. Reason: Delete double post
    Jerry
    K7PNW

Has anyone had a chance to read it?
    Jerry
    K7PNW

It's on my wish list.

In the mean time, is there something that stands out that you would like to share?

Also, I have a programming cable on order.

Steve
    Steve

No one thing in particular, but over the years there have been several posts from new licensees about radio etiquette, proper use, etc. In other words, "I have my license and a new radio, what do I do now?" The info at the beginning of the ARRL Repeater Directory gives us a good understanding of how and why different segments of the bands are designated for certain uses. And the band plan at the beginning of each Washington State heading shows how all of the frequencies are allocated within that band. There are not many of us who can rattle off the allocated 2-Meter frequencies for Amateur TV, Satellite, CW & Weak Signal, Digital, FM Simplex, Single Sideband and FM Repeater. I certainly can't, so I either check the band plan in the ARRL Repeater Directory or use a cheat sheet that I keep at my stations. With a basic understanding of how our radios are intended to be used we should be able to locate a proper frequency and mode to initiate a conversation and not be liable for interfering with communications on the same or adjacent frequencies.

Not shown in the book, but a couple of forum topics of interest to new Hams might be, "How should I program my 2-Meter Radio?" and "How do I find someone to talk to?" The first takes some thought and the second is easy.
    Last edited by Jerry; 03-26-2015 at 18:23.
    Jerry
    K7PNW

All right!!!!

Book ordered
    The ORIGINAL Phil!

Thread Information