Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: It's Official, I Passed my Amateur Technician and General Test Tonight

Bookmark and Share

Jerry,

No specific decisions on the radio yet. I have a bid on an all band on eBay right now. Will wait and see. If I don't go that route, than a dual band radio will be on the list.

I received my custom fit fender antenna brackets for my Land Cruiser yesterday (http://www.gamiviti.com/html/product...nnamounts.html). I also placed an order for a Larsen NMO 2/70B antenna and cable as well.

And, overnight, I received notification on the approval of my vanity call sign….K9PNW.

Steve
    Steve

K9PNW | Exploring the Pacific Northwest in my 1992 Toyota FJ80 Land Cruiser

Pacific Northwest Backroad Adventures - Pacific Northwest Outdoor Adventure Forums

Steve G. Bisig Photography
    - Pacific Northwest Photography: Nature, Landscapes, Rural, Urban

Good luck on your eBay bid for the all-band unit. I have had excellent luck buying used radios via many classified sources, but that is just what it is - luck! I figure that if I end up with a lemon I can always send it in for repairs and not suffer too badly.

Nice antenna mount. It is very similar to the stock Larsen NMO mount except yours is taller to fit your Land Cruiser. Good thing to keep in mind for other applications! And I agree wholeheartedly with your choice of the Larsen NMO270B. I must say that most ham antennas are built flimsy as compared to the average CB antenna including the NMO270B, plus twigs and green leaves get snagged in the spring-like center load. The difference between the NMO270B and most other dual-band ham antennas is that the metal rod can be bent back to it's original shape several times without breaking, like a coat hanger. By the way, Larsen makes two different styles of the NMO270. The NMO270B, B for black and the NMO270C, C for chrome. The B is flexible with an open coil and the C is non-flexible and has a plastic covered coil. Both antennas are fine, but the B model works best in the brush.

Hey, CONGRATULATIONS on the new call sign. I like it, somehow it rings a bell with me?! K 9 P N W And you even managed to include your 4-legged partner in the call. Way to go, Steve!
    Jerry
    Reading and Riding Northwest Backroads
    K7PNW

I figured the call sign would be easy for others to remember when I'm talking with them.

Steve
    Steve

Pacific Northwest Backroad Adventures - Pacific Northwest Outdoor Adventure Forums

After much online research, tonight, I placed an order for a Kenwood TM-V71A dual band radio.

My final two choices were the Kenwood and the Yaesu FT-8800R. After evaluating my needs, I chose the Kenwood.

Now I'm one step closer to have a radio in the Land Cruiser.

Steve
    Steve

Atta' way, Steve. A thousand memories and Echo Link ready. You can't go wrong with that one!
    Jerry
    K7PNW

Quote Originally Posted by Steve View Post
    I keep checking everyday and still nothing. They say to call after 15 days and its only been 10.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    This is not encouraging!!!! I keep looking, but it has been less than a week since my test.
    Eric, KG7SEJ
    I have never been lost, but I was bewildered once for three days. -Daniel Boone

Quote Originally Posted by lost in the woods View Post
    This is not encouraging!!!! I keep looking, but it has been less than a week since my test.
    Patience Grass Hopper. Mine took 2-1/2 weeks. It will come.
    The ORIGINAL Phil!

It's like waiting for water to boil. I don't understand them, what are they using, 1950's analog computers? Anyway, don't get discouraged 'cause the government works in strange ways!
    Jerry
    K7PNW

Considering the FCC is receiving an actual physical document in the mail that probably requires somebody to manually input the data, starting with one at the top of the stack, the time frame is probably about right.

We're so used to completing an online form and receiving instant feedback. It was though, hard to wait.
    Steve

You're also depending on the examiners to do their thing and send the results to the FCC in a timely fashion. That may not be a factor here, but since the examiners are volunteers, one never knows. I don't know if there are any standards they're supposed to comply with.

Thread Information