Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: It's Official, I Passed my Amateur Technician and General Test Tonight

Bookmark and Share

Steve, which model radio are you thinking about, a dual-bander or an all-bander? Or perhaps a single band 2m? Take your time and check them out on http://www.eham.net/reviews/

An excellent place to window shop for photos and specs is http://www.universal-radio.com/catalog/index2.html and they also show discontinued radios in case you are looking for a second-hand unit.

There are a lot of gadgets out there that sound appealing to start with, but after a while you may find that they are not as useful as you first thought. It took me a long while to decide on which radio I wanted and I finally had to flip a coin. It turned out that luck was on my side and fortunately my choice was the right one for me. Two things I suggest are (1) buy a radio with a GOOD software memory program available, either factory or after-market; and (2) buy a radio with a removable face plate so as to mount on crowded dash boards.

Have fun!
    Jerry
    Reading and Riding Northwest Backroads
    K7PNW

Quote Originally Posted by Steve View Post
    I should probably continue the prepare for the Extra while I'm still in the study mode.

Steve
    Sorry I missed this post. I guess I was typing the query directly above.

I don't know about you, but when I got home from passing the General exam in Tacoma and no longer had to study every night, it left a void. I needed something to do. So what the heck, I went back to the old grind and studied for Amateur Extra. Let me tell you, when I got home from passing the Extra Class exam I was through. Done finished. No more!
    Jerry
    K7PNW

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry View Post
    Steve, which model radio are you thinking about, a dual-bander or an all-bander? Or perhaps a single band 2m? Take your time and check them out on http://www.eham.net/reviews/

An excellent place to window shop for photos and specs is http://www.universal-radio.com/catalog/index2.html and they also show discontinued radios in case you are looking for a second-hand unit.

There are a lot of gadgets out there that sound appealing to start with, but after a while you may find that they are not as useful as you first thought. It took me a long while to decide on which radio I wanted and I finally had to flip a coin. It turned out that luck was on my side and fortunately my choice was the right one for me. Two things I suggest are (1) buy a radio with a GOOD software memory program available, either factory or after-market; and (2) buy a radio with a removable face plate so as to mount on crowded dash boards.

Have fun!
    I'm leaning towards a dual-bander, however I'm going to take my time and do my research. But then the addition of a HF radio down the road also intrigues me.

From what I have been reading is that the antenna (and mount) is one of the most parts of the purchase. I need to figure out what works on my land cruiser, considering I have a sun roof, roof rack and at times a roof top tent up there.

Steve
    Steve

K9PNW | Exploring the Pacific Northwest in my 1992 Toyota FJ80 Land Cruiser

Pacific Northwest Backroad Adventures - Pacific Northwest Outdoor Adventure Forums

Steve G. Bisig Photography
    - Pacific Northwest Photography: Nature, Landscapes, Rural, Urban

You bet! At times the bands do get crowded and operating in that extra band space is like driving in the car pool lane.
    Last edited by Jerry; 02-20-2015 at 06:24. Reason: Clarity
    Jerry
    K7PNW

Quote Originally Posted by Steve View Post
    ...Hopefully my call sign will show up before the weekend...
    Steve
    I'd say they are taking their sweet time.
    Jerry
    K7PNW

I keep checking and still nothing. They say to call after 15 days and it's only been 10.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Steve

Pacific Northwest Backroad Adventures - Pacific Northwest Outdoor Adventure Forums

I keep checking everyday and still nothing. They say to call after 15 days and its only been 10.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Steve

It finally showed up in the FCC database:

KG7RIX

However, I just applied for a vanity call sign so hopefully in a few weeks I will have a new one.

Jerry, I was inspired by your call sign so it will be similar.

Steve
    Steve

Congratulations, Steve, you are now free to use all of the amateur radio bands. The call sounds good just the way it is, but the personal touch of a vanity call is hard to beat. Looking forward to hearing it and I do appreciate any similarity to mine.
    Jerry
    K7PNW

Hey, Steve, any decisions on which radio yet? Or maybe which way you are leaning? No hurry.
    Jerry
    K7PNW

Thread Information