Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: It's Official, I Passed my Amateur Technician and General Test Tonight

Bookmark and Share

Default It's Official, I Passed my Amateur Technician and General Test Tonight

After studying for about 3 weeks using HamTestOnline, I passed both my Technician and General tests tonight.

The folks at the Radio Club of Tacoma, where the exam was held, insisted that I take the Extra test as well. After guessing on every question in that exam, I still managed to get 42%.

Now I have learn what all the radio stuff means in the real world.

Steve
    Steve

K9PNW | Exploring the Pacific Northwest in my 1992 Toyota FJ80 Land Cruiser

Pacific Northwest Backroad Adventures - Pacific Northwest Outdoor Adventure Forums

Steve G. Bisig Photography
    - Pacific Northwest Photography: Nature, Landscapes, Rural, Urban

Nice!! I am planning on going after my Technician in mid March. I was thinking of doing it how you did it, and getting both the Technician and General, but my study time has been severely cut into by trying to learn a new mapping program.
    Eric, KG7SEJ
    I have never been lost, but I was bewildered once for three days. -Daniel Boone

After feeling confident with the Technician material, the exam was still 2 weeks out so I started studying for the General exam.

I would recommend studying what you can for the General as well and just take the test after passing the Tech exam. With a few known answers and a few guesses, you just might pass.

Steve
    Steve

Pacific Northwest Backroad Adventures - Pacific Northwest Outdoor Adventure Forums

Fantastic! Congratulations, Steve! When I took the Technician exam I felt confident that I knew the material, but would not have even come close to passing the General. And when I finally took the General exam a year later I was still not all that confident. By the way, Steve, I took my General exam at the Radio Club of Tacoma. That was the impromptu trip where we had an appointment in Seattle the next day, so left Yakima early to take the exam; and where we were running late and my wife and I ended up having dinner at Hooters before the exam

Looking forward to knowing your call sign!
    Jerry
    Reading and Riding Northwest Backroads
    K7PNW

Congrats. I thought the General was easier than the Tech. Now you get to spend some cash on some toys. It's a never ending rabbit hole to go down.

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry View Post
    Fantastic! Congratulations, Steve! When I took the Technician exam I felt confident that I knew the material, but would not have even come close to passing the General. And when I finally took the General exam a year later I was still not all that confident. By the way, Steve, I took my General exam at the Radio Club of Tacoma. That was the impromptu trip where we had an appointment in Seattle the next day, so left Yakima early to take the exam; and where we were running late and my wife and I ended up having dinner at Hooters before the exam

Looking forward to knowing your call sign!
    Thanks Jerry. Hopefully my call sign will show up before the weekend.

I now need to listen and figure out the radio operational procedures and what I can afford to purchase in my Land Cruiser. The good thing is that I have an auxiliary battery (house battery) with heavy gauge wires pre-ran to various locations within the passenger area.

Steve
    Steve

Quote Originally Posted by Puddin99 View Post
    Congrats. I thought the General was easier than the Tech. Now you get to spend some cash on some toys. It's a never ending rabbit hole to go down.
    I definitely feel that it's worth studying for both if you can. The material compliments each test. Plus you save $15 for the second test.

Steve
    Steve

Has anybody out there received their Amateur Extra license yet?

Steve
    Steve

Quote Originally Posted by Steve View Post
    Has anybody out there received their Amateur Extra license yet?

Steve
    I passed the Extra exam a month after the General, while I was still in the studying mode. Only problem is that when you replace General with Extra nobody salutes you anymore. Of course the salute you receive as a General is the one fingered variety, but that's more than the other classes.

Last time I checked it out there were pretty close to 15% Extras and 15% Generals out of the total licensees that I could account for on the PNW Backroad Adventures list. I know there are several hams who frequent the forum that are not on the list so those percentages could be off one way or the other.
    Last edited by Jerry; 04-15-2015 at 02:57. Reason: Additional information
    Jerry
    Reading and Riding Northwest Backroads
    K7PNW

I should probably continue the prepare for the Extra while I'm still in the study mode.

Steve
    Steve

Thread Information