Thread: PNW forum adventure

Bookmark and Share
    Buhl, ID (about 18 miles west of Twin Falls)

Default PNW forum adventure

I would sure entertain the idea of getting a trip planned for this spring/summer/fall of those of us on this forum. I'm open to any route in any state that borders Idaho of say 3 to 5 days. Ideas? Interest?

(One of my poems)

Real Gold

The real gold
    is in the sunrises, sunsets
    and silhouettes of flying geese.
    Last edited by IdahoXJ; 01-15-2015 at 16:25.
    Explore and live under the big sky.

Not to sure what we have going on this year yet. It's only the middle of January and our year is already looking busy. I have a few ideas for some places to go though.
    One of the problems we have with putting in a lot of miles exploring is a 5 year old girl. We try to have one or two long stops to allow her to run and play, along with stopping earlier than we normally would. Before having a kid, my wife and I got fairly good at setting up camp by the headlights of the truck. The trade off is defiantly worth it though.
    Eric, KG7SEJ
    I have never been lost, but I was bewildered once for three days. -Daniel Boone

Quote Originally Posted by IdahoXJ View Post
    I would sure entertain the idea of getting a trip planned for this spring/summer/fall of those of us on this forum. I'm open to any route in any state that borders Idaho of say 3 to 5 days. Ideas? Interest?

(One of my poems)

Real Gold

The real gold
    is in the sunrises, sunsets
    and silhouettes of flying geese.
    I think most of us agree that Idaho is a pleasure to visit as well as the fringe areas of surrounding states. It sounds like a neat trip.

Any interest? I assure you, there is interest. Don't be discouraged because you don't receive a bunch of answers. It's still too early in the year to pry some of the folks out of their winter recliners. And, on the other hand it's like fishing, the more bait you throw out, the more fish you catch. Hang in there. Keep posting. It will happen!
    Jerry
    Reading and Riding Northwest Backroads
    K7PNW

Quote Originally Posted by lost in the woods View Post
    Not to sure what we have going on this year yet. It's only the middle of January and our year is already looking busy. I have a few ideas for some places to go though.
    One of the problems we have with putting in a lot of miles exploring is a 5 year old girl. We try to have one or two long stops to allow her to run and play, along with stopping earlier than we normally would. Before having a kid, my wife and I got fairly good at setting up camp by the headlights of the truck. The trade off is defiantly worth it though.
    Our trip leaders usually expect late arrivals and early departures and can usually (not always) plan around them if they know in advance. Taking care of kids is nothing new for this group. No, I am not volunteering to baby sit! So if any of our trips are heading to places you want to visit PM the trip leader and let him know your circumstances. Maybe he can work it out for you. Remember, the key word is "usually", not "always".
    Jerry
    K7PNW

I know Southern Idaho pretty well, parts of Montana and Wyoming, Northern Nevada plus Moab and St George, UT. I am completely unfamiliar with Oregon and Washington back roads. It seems like the majority of the participants on this forum are from those two states. Someone lead the way.

Quote Originally Posted by IdahoXJ View Post
    ...Someone lead the way.
    Yes, I know what you mean..."You lead and I'll follow". That's my motto.

The following comments are not only to IdahoXJ, but also directed at anyone who has been thinking about leading a trip as well as to those who have not done so in quite a while.

Some of the best trips I was ever on were to areas where none of us, including the trip leader, had ever visited. It makes the "Oooo's and Ahhh's" more meaningful when we all discover those places together. I figure that one of the two privileges of being trip leader is that he/she gets to choose the general area and the route. My 'modus operandi' was to first decide on a general area of where I wanted to explore, then I checked out some interesting places to stop along the way (thanks to the tourist pages in Benchmark and DeLorme Map books as well as the internet), then selected specific roads or trails thanks to Forest Service, BLM, DNR or other detailed maps that can be found on the internet. And being trip leader, I also selected the date(s), time(s) and place(s) to meet. And after I had lined out the full trip and privately ran it past a couple of friends, I posted it to the forum where other comments and suggestions would be incorporated. I don't think it really matters much whether I have previously visited an area or not when it comes to planning a trip. Oh, in case you were wondering, the second privilege of being trip leader is that you get to drive up front out of the dust.
    Jerry
    K7PNW

Jerry, you make a good point. I have led a number to trips, both on dirt bikes and 4X4s. And sometimes exploring totally new areas can be exciting, for sure. But I also know that Forest Service maps, Google Earth, BLM and Delorme can be very misleading when the rubber has to meet the road. Last year a bunch of guys I know spent lots of time routing a week excursion in a loop around Idaho. Much of it new areas for them. They used Forest Service maps only to be quite disappointed over some of their trip. Road closures and other details not shown on the maps made them reroute and much of that rerouting was on paved roads.

If I am going to have the confidence to travel a considerable distance to participate in a trip, I want to know that the trip planners have, at least, a feel for the lay of the land. And, while some or much of the trip is new even to the planners, they have a good idea of what would be interesting and fun.

I would be glad to plan a trip for Idaho, Wyoming, Montana, Northern Nevada, Moab, UT (lots of experience in Moab), even the Rubicon. However, I would need to get some feedback from the members of this forum as to the general interest in getting together.

Planning and attending a multiple day adventure trip is a pretty big commitment. My original thought process was to get something planned more local to the majority of forum members, enjoy that trip, make friends, and then branch out from there.

When I was riding dirt bikes, there was a forum I was on and we started planning a multiple day trip in the Moab area. There were a few who had been there and had some ideas, but it was totally new to the rest of us. The first year we had about 10 riders from around the US and it continued annually for about 5 years after that. Some of those relationships are precious to me, not to mention the huge amount of fun memories we had.
    Last edited by IdahoXJ; 01-25-2015 at 08:23.

Thread Information