Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Thoughts on licensing (by a novice)

Bookmark and Share

That's a lot of licenses. They went from CFQ to QIX in just a couple years

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk

Google your new call sign and see what you get.
    Jerry
    Reading and Riding Northwest Backroads
    K7PNW

Quote Originally Posted by lost in the woods View Post
    Nice job! I am scheduled for mid March for my test.
    Hey, Eric, we're holding a space for your call sign on the list of Hams on the Forum! I recall that you said you had some other obligations pop up, but I sure hope you find time to get your license. When you do, please PM me with your call sign or post it here and I will add your call sign suffix to the list.
    Jerry
    K7PNW

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry View Post
    Hey, Eric, we're holding a space for your call sign on the list of Hams on the Forum! I recall that you said you had some other obligations pop up, but I sure hope you find time to get your license. When you do, please PM me with your call sign or post it here and I will add your call sign suffix to the list.
    Funny you should bring it up. I took and passed my Technician exam today! Hopefully I will know my call sign within the week or so. Already been looking at radios. Currently looking at the Yaesu Ft-8900R Quad Band ( http://www.hamradio.com/detail.cfm?pid=H0-000125 ) for the truck, but still not sure. I like the idea of being able to get on the 10m and 6m bands. There is one antenna that I found specifically for that radio, but need to look into it more. Right now I will probably end up getting a handheld due to cost.
    Eric, KG7SEJ
    I have never been lost, but I was bewildered once for three days. -Daniel Boone

Congrats on your ticket!

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk

Funny you should bring it up. I took and passed my Technician exam today! Hopefully I will know my call sign within the week or so. Already been looking at radios. Currently looking at the Yaesu Ft-8900R Quad Band ( http://www.hamradio.com/detail.cfm?pid=H0-000125 ) for the truck, but still not sure. I like the idea of being able to get on the 10m and 6m bands. There is one antenna that I found specifically for that radio, but need to look into it more. Right now I will probably end up getting a handheld due to cost.
    Wow, small world! Congratulations, Eric!

The FT-8900R is an excellent choice, but be aware that the 6m and 10m bands are FM only. It would really be nice to have sideband capability as well, but that would require an all-band, all-mode rig like the FT-857D or a second hand Icom 706MKIIG or 7000 (there are others depending upon available mounting space). The main thing is that besides 4-band coverage you will be getting 50 watts output, cross-band capability and a quality radio.

But, most importantly, I am looking forward to hearing your call sign!
    Jerry
    K7PNW

I looked at the FT-857D, but decided against it right now due to cost. An all band radio is something that I would like to get in the future though, especially if I get my General licence. As soon as I know my call sign I will post it.
    Eric, KG7SEJ

Jerry
    Is there an all band radio that can also act as a repeater. I am sure there is one, I just haven't found it yet. One of the things I like about the FT-8900R is the ability to use it as a repeater, but having an all band radio would be nice.
    Eric, KG7SEJ

Jerry
    Is there an all band radio that can also act as a repeater. I am sure there is one, I just haven't found it yet. One of the things I like about the FT-8900R is the ability to use it as a repeater, but having an all band radio would be nice.
    Not to my knowledge. Yes, the cross-band repeat feature would be most helpful if you were away from your vehicle and needed assistance. Certainly one of the strong features of the FT-8900R as well as the FT-8800R and other model radios is cross-band repeat. Unless a person plans on exploring in really remote areas away from repeater systems, or spending much of their time in canyon bottoms, there is probably not much need for HF capability other than for fun. But, if you plan on exploring in the most remote areas of the Northwest such as SW Idaho, SE Oregon, N Nevada, etc, you will probably want HF capability.

While on the subject please let me say a few words to anyone reading this who already has or is considering cross-band repeat capability and might not be aware that there are designated cross-band frequencies in the Northwest Band Plans (Washington and Oregon are different). If a person uses his head when programming frequencies and refers to a source such as the ARRL Repeater Directory so as not to interfere with repeater inputs and outputs, other than the frequency your mobile radio uses to connect with a distant repeater, you should be okay. We should all just make a small effort to do it right, after all that is one of the reasons the FCC required us to study the material for our licensing exams. Thanks, and I am now stepping down from my soap box.

I don't think you can go wrong with an FT-8900R, Eric.
    Last edited by Jerry; 03-17-2015 at 02:02. Reason: Clarity
    Jerry
    K7PNW

Thanks Jerry. Looks like I need to start saving my pennies for the FT-8900R. At some point in the distant future I may also end up with an all band in the truck, but that wont be for awhile. Other than the fact I would need my General to really take advantage of it. In the mean time, until I can get the FT-8900, I am looking at a hand held.
    Eric, KG7SEJ

Thread Information