Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Thoughts on licensing (by a novice)

Bookmark and Share

Quote Originally Posted by IdahoXJ View Post
    Took and passed the tech test today. Now what??? lol The handheld Boefeng is tempting, but I have read such mixed reviews I'm not so sure.
    CONGRATULATIONS! Way to go! Can't wait to hear your call sign!

Thirty bucks for a Boefeng probably won't break you and sooner or later you will probably want to own a handheld, so join the ever increasing ranks and buy one. Now this is just me talking, but from my experience, no matter how many bucks I put into my handheld it just flat comes up short. I have little use for any handheld radio. Personally I suggest all new hams invest in a 2m/440 mobile unit with a detachable face plate along with a permanently mounted or magnetic mount antenna of quality build. You can also use all 50+ watts of your mobile unit as a base station together with a minimal base antenna. Just move your mobile unit from the car to the house and hook it to a power supply. I guess all of the major brand name models are of equal quality. I don't know about the Chinese models, but you can read about them at www.eHam.net/reviews

Check out the features you like and tell you wife you want one for an early birthday present.
    Last edited by Jerry; 08-19-2015 at 11:14.
    Jerry
    Reading and Riding Northwest Backroads
    K7PNW

Took and passed the tech test today.
    Congratulations on passing the exam.

I'll be taking one soon myself.

Steve
    Steve

K9PNW | Exploring the Pacific Northwest in my 1992 Toyota FJ80 Land Cruiser

Pacific Northwest Backroad Adventures - Pacific Northwest Outdoor Adventure Forums

Steve G. Bisig Photography
    - Pacific Northwest Photography: Nature, Landscapes, Rural, Urban

Buhl, ID (about 18 miles west of Twin Falls)

A hand held may be the way I go to start, but I'd really like to have a mobile of some kind. One that looks good to me is the Kenwood TM281A or perhaps a used 271. Any thoughts or recommendations? I'm not sure how long I have to wait before the call sign gets posted.
    Explore and live under the big sky.

Took and passed the tech test today.
    Nice job! I am scheduled for mid March for my test.
    Eric, KG7SEJ
    I have never been lost, but I was bewildered once for three days. -Daniel Boone

Jerry, I'm a huge fan of handheld radios. If I'm hiking/backpacking/snowshoeing/etc it's nice to be in range of help with a good handheld. Look at the gentleman who just died recently trying to snowshoe to Camp Muir, he could have radioed the Paradise repeater and probably been rescued.

Sent from my Transformer Prime TF201 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by AaronZR2 View Post
    ...If I'm hiking/backpacking/snowshoeing/etc it's nice to be in range of help with a good handheld. Look at the gentleman who just died recently trying to snowshoe to Camp Muir, he could have radioed the Paradise repeater and probably been rescued.
    They do have their place on the backroads and that's why I bought one. I can foresee hiking to a water fall or up to a tower and needing the handheld to call back to the folks down at the cars, or perhaps set it up in Cross-Band Mode. But, if you want a radio for the backroads, emergency or otherwise, you will do better with a mobile unit. Personally I take both when we go out, but I have yet to find a situation where an HT (handi-talky) would perform better than a mobile unit on a backroad outing
    Last edited by Jerry; 01-21-2015 at 12:20. Reason: Clarity
    Jerry
    K7PNW

I meant to say this in my last post, but better late than never. It is too bad about that gentleman's death. And you are absolutely right that a handheld might well have saved his life. My son does a lot of hiking and backpacking and I have tried talking him into carrying a handheld, but no dice as of yet.

Handhelds work pretty darned good from hilltops and they do have their place on the backroads. I am not knocking HT's, it's just that they are special use radios and limited as to performance.
    Jerry
    K7PNW

Wasn't implying that you were, just outlining a practical application to the newer hobbyists. I want to get a cross band repeat rig for my truck one of these days. Which means I need to convince my wife that it's a worthwhile expense :-P

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk

Buhl, ID (about 18 miles west of Twin Falls)

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry View Post
    CONGRATULATIONS! Way to go! Can't wait to hear your call sign!

They finally posted it: KG7QIX I quite like the call sign. Now, if I only had a radio.
    Explore and live under the big sky.

K G 7 Q I X

Fantastic! I like it, too. It's got a good sound to it.

(Kilo - Golf - Seven - Quebec - India - X-ray)
    Jerry
    K7PNW

Thread Information