Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Like this forum

Bookmark and Share
    Buhl, ID (about 18 miles west of Twin Falls)

Default Like this forum

I really like this forum and would like to see it grow and have much more interchange. I'm sure it takes time.

It take members actually posting instead of just reading.

It feels like home to me.
    Jerry
    Reading and Riding Northwest Backroads
    K7PNW

I open the forum every day since I joined. I have checked out some of the past threads for information and I always open the "new posts" section. I do not really know any of you so it takes time to develop some commonality (aside from overlanding and exploring which is a passion for me and was the original attraction to the forum). When I found the forum, just the fact that it is oriented to the PNW drew me in. I am looking for fellowship and connection beyond just the forum ... that in the future there are outings and activities that make us more than just code names on the internet. Some of you who live in proximity probably already have that. BTW, Jerry, I have begun studying for the HAM licensing.

It generally seems to be a bit busier when the mountains are not snowed in. At least in past years. I had a lot of chaos in life the past year and a half so I have not been as active. But starting to pop in again more and more now.

I need to start getting the HAM thing done as well (not to change the subject). I have a Baofeng handheld that I use to listen in on the FS and such during fire season to find out exactly where the areas I need to avoid are, I just don't talk on it.
    Funny thing is I found out that while I'm flying I sort of have a HAM license by default, aircraft have their own that transfers to the pilot while they are at the controls of it (in flight school for commercial helicopter now, part of the chaos).
    Last edited by TeamCF; 01-07-2015 at 00:25.
    '83 Subaru GL, '09 Yamaha Zuma 50, '01 Kia Sportage, '04 Ranger xlt, '14 CRF250L

The past year has been a hard one on us, too. We didn't make it to a single road trip last year and will have to cut back in the future as well, but perhaps we might get out to a few of them. The nice part is that we can still enjoy the events through the forum. Even if we only meet on occasion, or maybe never, we all have at least one thing in common and that in itself unites us. It's more fun to actually be there, but reading about it on the forum is a good second best. Good job on pursuing your ham licenses, guys!
    Jerry
    K7PNW

Trying to get out has been a problem for my wife and I in the past. One of the best thing that we did last year was to sit down last February and plan out at least 3 trips for the year. Little did we know how important that would be. Her father past away in May and even though life was crazy at the time, we kept the dates to go out as a family and have fun. In the past we would just say, well go somewhere this month, but it never seam to happen. We have already started planning a few trips for the year.

Back to IdahoXJ original post, I would have to agree that I also enjoy the form. It seams like a good group of people who have at least one thing in common. It is fun to look back at some of the trips that have been posted and get ideas for areas to go, and Jerry has done a fine job of convincing people to get a ham license. By the way Jerry, the ARRL manual came in the other day, and wow do I have a lot to learn.
    Eric, KG7SEJ
    I have never been lost, but I was bewildered once for three days. -Daniel Boone

Quote Originally Posted by lost in the woods View Post
    One of the best thing that we did last year was to sit down last February and plan out at least 3 trips for the year.

When we were selling real estate (several years ago) we would get so busy that we had to reserve personal time for ourselves by marking it in our Day-Timers right along with other appointments.

Quote Originally Posted by lost in the woods View Post
    ...the ARRL manual came in the other day, and wow do I have a lot to learn.
    Good deal, I'm glad you received the book. Don't let it intimidate you. If you remember everything in that book before your exam you will be one of very few! Read it and re-read the parts you don't understand, but I suggest that you not dwell on it. Go to the classes and/or take the practice exams on the internet, as many versions as you can stand before you go nuts. When your scores run consistently above the high eighty to low ninety percentile you should be ready for the exam. After you receive your license and begin using the radio many of those subjects you didn't understand before the exam will begin making sense. Of course some of that stuff you may never use.
    Jerry
    K7PNW

I have two longer trips planned already: a 7 or 8 day trip in mid June and a 5 day trip in March to St George, UT. I'm working up a route for late spring in the Copper Basin/Lost River range between Ketchum and Mackay, ID. which may turn out to be a solo (with my little dog) trip. I have a hard time getting anyone to go, especially the overlanding/adventure type trips. I'd be interested in a group trip of some kind from members of this forum.

I subscribed to an on-line ham licensing course and have been really getting into it. I study about an hour each evening. I can see that much of the material will make more sense when actually doing it and interacting with some of the old salts (hopefully find an "elmer"). There is a club in the Southern Idaho area that sounds good, but the main appeal to me at this point is ham radio in context with overlanding.

Quote Originally Posted by IdahoXJ View Post
    I have two longer trips planned already: a 7 or 8 day trip in mid June and a 5 day trip in March to St George, UT.
    I have been looking at taking a trip to Utah. It wont happen for a year or two, but one of the places I was told about by a friend is the White Rim Trail in Canyonlands National Park.
    Eric, KG7SEJ
    I have never been lost, but I was bewildered once for three days. -Daniel Boone

Thread Information