Thread: New guy

Bookmark and Share

Default New guy

Thought I would introduce my self. I have been looking things up on the site for awhile now and figured I should finally join it. I live in Buckley, Washington, and have spent a number of years exploring the logging roads of Washington and just a little into NE Oregon around Troy and Tollgate. Mostly due to my job, but also with my wife and kid. My family and I are always looking for new places to explore and see. Currently I run a 2005 F250 with a leveling kit on it and 34" tires. It works fairly good, but would like to get into something a little smaller such as a Cherokee or Land Cruiser.

Welcome to the forum! You are lucky to live near and spend time in a couple of fantastic areas for exploring backroads! Troy, OR on business?
    Jerry
    Reading and Riding Northwest Backroads
    K7PNW

I am a forester and was doing work for the Forest Service. Most of my work is for private timber company's, it's rare, but occasionally we do work for the Forest Service and DNR. One of the trips I would like to take with my family is back to that area of the Umatilla National Forest and spend time just exploring instead of working. It was great place and my wife and kid have never been there. Not sure if I would role the Tucannan area into it or explore south of I-84.

Welcome to the Forum!
    Steve

K9PNW | Exploring the Pacific Northwest in my 1992 Toyota FJ80 Land Cruiser

Pacific Northwest Backroad Adventures - Pacific Northwest Outdoor Adventure Forums

Steve G. Bisig Photography
    - Pacific Northwest Photography: Nature, Landscapes, Rural, Urban

Quote Originally Posted by lost in the woods View Post
    I am a forester and was doing work for the Forest Service. Most of my work is for private timber company's, it's rare, but occasionally we do work for the Forest Service and DNR. One of the trips I would like to take with my family is back to that area of the Umatilla National Forest and spend time just exploring instead of working. It was great place and my wife and kid have never been there. Not sure if I would role the Tucannan area into it or explore south of I-84.
    Neat job! At least during the summer months. One that you need to be in good physical condition for to cover the acreage that you do. Regarding the areas north and south of I-84, either way, I don't think you can miss. I enjoy the Tucanan area up to, and including, the ridge down to the Grande Ronde. I also like the territory between the Elk Horns and the Strawberry Mountains near John Day. I don't think a person could get too much of that country!
    Jerry
    K7PNW

Yes, my job dose have it's perks. I have spent some time around the Clearwater lookout tower above the Tucannan. I had a friend of mine that was talking about the Elk Horn mountains and that's what perked my interest in that area. I agree though, a person could spent allot of time exploring that area. I would need to pull the map out of my truck to find the road number, but there was a road that I took from Hwy 204 to I-84 that ran a ridge for part of the way, I remember looking down onto the flat between Elgin and La Grande. That was a fun area, but I was in a hurry and couldn't really spend to much time looking around.

The main drag would be FR 31, Mount Emily Road, aka Skyline Road. For a really good view of the Grande Ronde Valley, a slight detour onto FR 3120 will take you to the Indian Rock overlook after which it runs through the recently established Mt. Emily Off-Road Recreation Area.

I just happen to know that area because I lived in La Grande for a few years and my wife's family is from La Grande so we go back often to visit and poke around the backroads. Plus, my son-in-law, a member of this forum as well as my backroad partner, has taken me on most of the roads in the Mount Emily area. From the top it doesn't seem like you are on much of a mountain, but looking up from the valley floor it looks every bit like one.

Lot's of history in the Grande Ronde Valley such as being a major meeting and trading place for Indians from Pacific Coast Tribes to those in the Montana's. Also a diversion point for the Whitman Expedition (crossing the 31 Road/visa-versa) and later a stopping place on the Oregon Trail. Not to mention more recent railroad and logging activity.
    Jerry
    K7PNW

I think it may have been the Skyline Road, at least that's the name that is ringing a bell in my head. That area is not a bad place to have family. Good reason to spend some time cruising around. I knew the Oregon Trail ran through there, but that was about all I knew of the area.

Thread Information