Thread: Off-Road Lights

Bookmark and Share

Default Off-Road Lights

I was recently looking at a photo of our pickup and got to thinking about the off-road lights mounted on the bull bar. Well, we have been talking about selling the winch, winch mount and bull bar and re-mounting the lights somewhere else on the grille. But, the thought occurred to me that we really don't need off road lights on the truck. I couldn't recall a single time we ever used them off-road. Not even once! We have used the lights on the Jeep several times, but not on the truck. I guess our truck has never been the lead vehicle after sundown.

So in that vein I have a couple of questions. Is your vehicle equipped with off-road lights? Have you ever used them off-road and if so, how often?
    Jerry
    Reading and Riding Northwest Backroads
    K7PNW

I got high-beams, plus lights in a box that have never been hooked up.
    Steve

K9PNW | Exploring the Pacific Northwest in my 1992 Toyota FJ80 Land Cruiser

Pacific Northwest Backroad Adventures - Pacific Northwest Outdoor Adventure Forums

Steve G. Bisig Photography
    - Pacific Northwest Photography: Nature, Landscapes, Rural, Urban

Yes I have them and yes, I use them. I have some Hella fog lights to replace the stock ones now that I have a custom front bumper but those I use all the time. I also had some Hella Driving lights and have used them several times coming down the 9712 RD by Liberty and going over Pyramid pass in the dark.I have switched the driving lights out for some Chinese LED lights (KAWELL 36 watt 30* spot from Amazon) and love the amount of light they throw, especially to the sides. I also have some LED pucks under the rig for rock lights to see what I might be hung up on or for assisting a spotter after dark (they also work well to light up camp without shining in your eyes)
    The ORIGINAL Phil!

Jerry,

I have some driving lights on my ARB bumper. I used them once on the stretch of Hwy 95 N of McDermitt, NV. I just don't drive that much at night on roads where there isn't traffic. There are times when I'm in areas that might have deer where they would be good to use, but again, on-coming traffic often prevents that.

I had one trip quite a few years ago where I wished I had better lights for off-road which to me means off to the sides and down. If you're out at night and there are tight switchbacks, regular headlamps and driving lights don't do that much good. I also had a sitation where the road dropped off suddenly and I actually got out with a flashlight to see before I drove over the edge. I keep thinking about solutions for those situations "just in case" but haven't done anything and haven't had the problem since. Obviously I made it home alive, so whether I really need more lights for a rare (for me) situation is debatable.

Alan

Alan

I don't have any, but there are a few times through out the year that I am wishing I had some.

I tend to get the late night roam out to a favorite local spot in the forest to look at the stars or whatever itch a lot. So I have a few options mounted.
    I have a set of Rigid D6 Duallys on the roofrack. Use them enough to be glad they are there.
    A set of Hella 500 fog lights on the bumper that I use a lot off road as well as in bad weather.
    My cheap LED lights on the side of the rack are too dim to be much use, but are a placeholder for the wiring.
    And the LED backup light I have mounted to the spare tire rack has gotten me out of a few late night gotta turn around in the middle of the forest jams.
    '83 Subaru GL, '09 Yamaha Zuma 50, '01 Kia Sportage, '04 Ranger xlt, '14 CRF250L

Quote Originally Posted by TeamCF View Post
    ...And the LED backup light I have mounted to the spare tire rack has gotten me out of a few late night gotta turn around in the middle of the forest jams.
    Oh yeah, for sure! Next to the headlights, the most valuable light on the vehicle.
    Jerry
    Reading and Riding Northwest Backroads
    K7PNW

I have a pair of Hella 500 driving lights and Pilot fogs on my pre runner bar. I use the Hellas off road or in inclimate weather. The fogs are nice for having on for visibility and are cheaper run the the Toshiba HIR bulbs that are in my headlights.
    I also have a Pro Comp fog light mounted to the top of my shell pointing rear as a backup light or an in camp area light. I use the hell out of that one.

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk

Thread Information