Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Retired Navy Diver still looking for adventure!!

Bookmark and Share

Hey squidly, thanks for the shout out. I'm in the pacnw as well ,Portland.

I wish there were some runs sooner! But it will give me some time to research, I'm a full time student so research is what I do best at the moment.

The completed trips section is a good place to start

Me too WR.

There seems to be a few of us former Squids in the Pacific NW. Even if i'm in the high desert on the dry side of Oregon, I'm still in the NW.
    Anyone stationed at NAS Whidbey Is. ?
    Rupe

Never was in the Navy, never did a dive and never was associated with NAS Whidbey. But, years ago when I was 18 to 20 years old (1960 to 1962) I spent two days cleaning out blackberries on some property on the north side of Dugualla Bay, due east of the field. Both days those planes were landing every few minutes and when they flew over at low altitude they were about the loudest thing I had ever heard. Later in life, after we had a couple of kids and a dog, we stopped at a landing strip south of Coupeville where A7's were doing touch and go's. We parked at the end of a dead end road next to the fence on the west side of the strip and could see the pilots, waved at them actually (and they waved back) as they were coming in. Noisy as all-get-out. And the planes looked to have been through ten wars with a variety of different colored panels that had obviously been salvaged from other planes. Sorry for robbing the thread, but since it was mentioned I thought I would jot down a couple of my memories concerning the Whidbey Island Naval Air Station.
    Jerry
    Reading and Riding Northwest Backroads
    K7PNW

Thread Information