Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Retired Navy Diver still looking for adventure!!

Bookmark and Share

Default Retired Navy Diver still looking for adventure!!

I spent 20 years in the Navy as a Navy Diver, I am now a full time student at Pacific University and Im looking for good people to show me the ropes as far as over landing and back country exploration. Currently driving a '85 K5 blazer on 35's.

Welcome from one former Squid to another!
    If you make it down to Christmas Valley I will gladly show you around. You can Drive all day and not see another vehicle.
    Rupe

Hey shipmate, thanks for the welcome! I am new to off roading altogether, although reading magazines and all my time in the Navy is paying off while I build my rig. Any advice you can give me towards building a good expedition rig that I can trust with my 3 young boys would be very well received.

Welcome to the forum! Check out the archived posts and I am sure you will find several topics of interest when it comes to building your K5. Hope to see you on the trails.
    Jerry
    Reading and Riding Northwest Backroads
    K7PNW

Thanks, and yeah hope to be out there soon

Howdy!

Sent from my Transformer Prime TF201 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Willy Risco View Post
    Hey shipmate, thanks for the welcome! I am new to off roading altogether, although reading magazines and all my time in the Navy is paying off while I build my rig. Any advice you can give me towards building a good expedition rig that I can trust with my 3 young boys would be very well received.
    I don't know if you can trust any rig with 3 young boys. They have a way to break just about anything! Hahaha
    Just to start off I would go with a roll cage and good 4 or 5 pt. Safety harness's. Safety is always the biggest thing to me. First aid kits, fire extinguisher, survival gear is food, water, blankets, fire starter etc. Then make sure your rig will get you there and back, tire repair plugs, air compressor. Check out some of the rigs in the sub forums and see what they have done. Start making a list and try to pick up things as you can afford them. Even if you have to buy things from harborfreight having something is better then not having it at all.
    Rupe

Welcome fellow former sailor. What part of the country are you in? I'm in PACNW. A lot of your setup will depend on your most common terrain. I personally like forest land and have equipped for such. An entirely different setup would work better in sand or maybe SW terrain.

The most important thing is to just go. As you get more experience then you can decide what type gear/equipment you may need (as opposed to wanting).Overlanding means different things to different people. When I started I thought it meant I needed also sorts of fancy/expensive gear on my rig. Now I am pretty close to stock.Dick - Toy Man

Come to the 7th Annual Christmas Valley 4x4 off road campout and trail ride the last full weekend in June and see what others have. Check out the last few threads on the past years. We all carry what we think we need. And a whole lot of stuff that we pack along that gets in the way but you just might need it some day. ( You just never know when a left handed monkey wrench will be needed)
    Rupe

Thread Information