Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: why do you camp and overland?

Bookmark and Share

Default why do you camp and overland?

I've loved camping my whole life. Started when I was about 3 with my grandparents. Easiest way to get away from all of it when life gets going too fast!
    Always tried to go, the navy sort of got in the way, and overlanding caught my eye and I feel like it's the perfect fit for me!

I always wondered where that road went!
    Jerry
    Reading and Riding Northwest Backroads
    K7PNW

Ask your self one question. Where does that road go? For me it is about exploring the world around me.
    Last edited by firemaniac; 11-06-2014 at 23:50.
    Chris
    KD7ZKB

I may not know where I am going, but I am NOT lost.

To escape, at least of a while, and to decompress and get re tuned.

Buhl, ID (about 18 miles west of Twin Falls)

Stars on a clear night, birds in the spring, wild flowers 'n' bees, snow capped peaks, over the hill and around the bend ... gotta go ... gotta see, smell, hear and be.

I've been doing it as long as I can remember. Growing up, I spent a lot of days driving the hills of Washington state with my Dad, some overnight, other times just a day trip. It's in my blood.
    Steve

K9PNW | Exploring the Pacific Northwest in my 1992 Toyota FJ80 Land Cruiser

Pacific Northwest Backroad Adventures - Pacific Northwest Outdoor Adventure Forums

Steve G. Bisig Photography
    - Pacific Northwest Photography: Nature, Landscapes, Rural, Urban

Overlanding gets me as far from civilization as possible

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk

In the past it was to see where that road goes and the proverbial "whats around the next bend". My job as a forester has allowed me to find out where a lot of those roads go. Now it is to get away and spend time with my family without the distractions of everyday life. It gives us a chance to take a deep breath, relax and reconnect with each other, even if it's just going over Green's Pass into the Naches area for the day. I still find my self looking over maps, planning a trip to some place that we haven't been, or some area that we would like to explore a little more. But being with the family is the biggest reason for getting out.
    Eric, KG7SEJ
    I have never been lost, but I was bewildered once for three days. -Daniel Boone

Buhl, ID (about 18 miles west of Twin Falls)

Quote Originally Posted by lost in the woods View Post
    In the past it was to see where that road goes and the proverbial "whats around the next bend". My job as a forester has allowed me to find out where a lot of those roads go. Now it is to get away and spend time with my family without the distractions of everyday life. It gives us a chance to take a deep breath, relax and reconnect with each other, even if it's just going over Green's Pass into the Naches area for the day. I still find my self looking over maps, planning a trip to some place that we haven't been, or some area that we would like to explore a little more. But being with the family is the biggest reason for getting out.
    It does me good to hear from an actual forester and sense the love of off-roading and exploring. I'm sure most foresters feel like you do but it is easy to get the impression that many of the professional foresters tend toward the keep-all-motorized-vehicles-out philosophy ... close the primitive roads, etc. Good to hear from you.

Quote Originally Posted by IdahoXJ View Post
    It does me good to hear from an actual forester and sense the love of off-roading and exploring. I'm sure most foresters feel like you do but it is easy to get the impression that many of the professional foresters tend toward the keep-all-motorized-vehicles-out philosophy ... close the primitive roads, etc. Good to hear from you.
    I can defiantly see where you would get that impression. There is the feeling that we would like to keep everyone out because of the gates, and there are some foresters do have that mindset. Unfortunately it is mostly due to the one or two percent of the people out there that mess it up for everyone. There are various reasons for having gates, but vandalism and garbage dumping are two of the biggest reason for the gates.
    The Forest Service is a whole other topic and one that I am not as familiar with, due to mainly working for private timber companies. I do know that budget cuts have played a big role in closing down some road systems, but they will also close areas to help with wildlife and various other things if they need to.
    Eric, KG7SEJ
    I have never been lost, but I was bewildered once for three days. -Daniel Boone

Thread Information