Thread: Official Forest Service travel maps (MVUM) for all National Forests

Bookmark and Share

Default Official Forest Service travel maps (MVUM) for all National Forests

Boy, where was I when you posted this? Just looked up the Naches Pass Trail and at it appears to me that the trail is open to motorcycle use only and limited to use between June and November. I know I am not a rocket scientist, but I think I am your average backroad driver and I am flat confused. I doubt that the Naches Pass Trail has been closed to Jeeps and other 4-wheel vehicles, but that is the way I read it.

If this means what I think it does, we will all be responsible for checking out all roads as to whether they are open or not, whether the size and type of our vehicles are legal on said roads and whether the roads are subject to seasonal closures; and that the USFS does not plan to place signage on said roads leaving the responsibility up to us. It will take a lot of extra time checking it out, and I suppose I am smart enough to live with the idea unless there is another alternative. But, when the USFS provides confusing or erroneous map details it puts me in an uncooperative mood.

Someone please tell me I am wrong. What is really going on here?
    Last edited by Jerry; 12-16-2014 at 06:05.
    Jerry
    Reading and Riding Northwest Backroads
    K7PNW

Yeah I don't know if any improved ones are out.
    But I have one of the original maps they released back when the whole MVUM thing started for Mt. Hood National Forest.

Dang near useless.
    No landmarks/topography on it. Gotta look up roads in the back to see exactly when they are open/closed and it varies a lot it seems.
    And I went out one day to try and just get around the forest using it. Seemed to get around just fine until I started finding roads marked as open so I could get through, but they were obviously tank trapped and blocked over a decaded ago...... But there they are, marked as open in the MVUM!......
    Found another one I was counting on and it had been converted into a hiking trail years ago. Again it is marked as open for me to drive on in the MVUM.

Talked to a recently retired FS ranger and he said that the picking of roads wasn't much more involved than throwing darts at a map. There was not much if any of "boots on the ground" checking out the roads when they picked them.

I'm just glad that nasty one near me that I figured would be closed since it is a 4 low required type of deal is marked on the map as an open legal road. They left me some fun. hehe
    '83 Subaru GL, '09 Yamaha Zuma 50, '01 Kia Sportage, '04 Ranger xlt, '14 CRF250L

"Technically" the burden of knowledge is placed on us the user. First to search and find out if there is a MVUM for the NF we plan on using. Then to get a copy of the MVUM and understand what of the road system that exist is actually open to motor vehicle usage. Then to check regularly to see if there is a new version of it. That said, I have no idea what enforcement is happening. In the areas I frequent, I have not seen a NF ranger for 3-4 years.

I agree, the MVUM in my area is confusing, does not make since and appears to be random in how "legal" roads were chosen. Key connector are not included and it appears un-included roads are being maintained.
    Scott
    Compact Camping Concepts

Glad to see some conversation here. It may not help, but letting the Forest Service know of your concerns is important. A simple letter may help and encourage some effort on these maps. I feel like if they're easy to use more people will use them.
    Also, I agree that the maps are very difficult to use. But, doing your best to follow the rules despite the difficulty is important. Enforcement or not, the amount of effort we put into taking care of the forests, following the rules, and encouraging others to do so, directly effects our access to them.

The thing I really don't understand, is that they must have digital versions of the standard forest maps. Why did they not just update those to show the MVUM info?

The burden is on us for sure. But the eventual plan is to have all the roads that are closed properly decommissioned. That will take a very long time though.
    Last edited by daredevil1166; 12-17-2014 at 17:10.
    '99 Subaru Outback Limited, 2" Lift, 28" AT's, Winch, Dual-Range 4wd

Don't get me wrong, I'm a supporter of responsible usage of our forest land and was not promoting breaking the rules. My experience is dealing with federal bureaucracy = cluster f%#*, on the surface their processes are designed to wear you down to the point that you just give up ... I agree, makes no since that they created a separate map and didn't integrate the info into the standard forest service map.
    Scott
    Compact Camping Concepts

Thread Information