Thread: bald mtn./1701 rd?

Bookmark and Share

Default bald mtn./1701 rd?

can a person travel over the 1701/ bald mtn. road to the 31 rd (manastash) easily ? looking on the google satellite photos can't tell the road condition. or is it just a trail ? looks like an interesting drive if viable.
    bmw

Last elk season this road was in good shape. Took an f350 dually over it .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It's been 2 or 3 years since I have driven it, but used to drive it several times a year before that and traditionally it's been an easy drive with few pot holes or other obstacles. It's certainly worth the effort.
    Jerry
    Reading and Riding Northwest Backroads
    K7PNW

summer is close,I didn't make this trip last year. To keep from getting lost, would it be easier to start on the manastash side and come towards the 1701 (or 1702,rock creek) or start 1701 to 31 rd ?
    bmw

Six of one, half-a-dozen of the other, both directions are easy to follow, but if I had to choose I would start on Hwy 410 and head north to FR31.

Per a phone conversation I had with the USFS Naches District Office today, all roads you referenced should be open. NOTICE: Off-road motorized trails on Manastash Ridge are currently closed due to damage caused by 4-wheel drive vehicles back in February/March and the damage is currently being assessed. The USFS does not expect any of those trails to open until Memorial Day at the soonest. Regular Forest Service roads, such as those you referenced, are open.
    Jerry
    K7PNW

I only want to use roads,not trails. any idea how many miles/ time it takes ? not being in a hurry, just curious. thanks for the info, Brent

Good question. I have never paid attention to the time, but I suppose the better part of an hour not counting how long it takes to drive the 31 Road. That would be a leisurely drive, definitely not road racing. If anyone else has an estimate please post up.
    Jerry
    K7PNW

well ,Sat. 5-30, we explored part of this. kinda got a late start, around noon, went over Pyramid to 410, started up Rock creek around 2:30, took 1720rd to the 1701, went about 2 miles past the turn off to bald mtn. , then turned around came back 1701 all the way to 410. next time I think we will start at the Manastash (rd 31) . Great views from the top of the ridge, had fun.
    bmw

ok, today, 6-20, we went up 1720 to 1701 to manastash rd 31. the last few miles had a few spots I was glad I was going down hill rather than up. saw a few jeeps, a couple atvs.
    so now I can say I've done that
    bmw

Thread Information