Thread: New Guy From Olympia

Bookmark and Share

Default New Guy From Olympia

Hey guys, thought I'd stop in and introduce myself. I am a complete newb as far as adventuring(in a vehicle) goes and am looking to learn a bit from this forum and to also find some of washingtons special nooks. My wife and I are expecting our second kid in December which in turn prompted me to look at what we had for a reliable family vehicle. A few months ago it was a 1995 PSD f-250 extended cab with 150k miles on it(i miss it but not quite as much as i thought i would). Obviously bullet proof especially with everything I had done to it and how I treated it. But alas the 2wd wasnt cutting it for dealing with the rediculously steep gravel driveway that we had to go down to load our horses up and haul them out of. And the cab gets filled up quite fast even with only one carseat in it let alone two. All this combined I knew that the rig wasn't right for us. So after about 4 months of trying to find a rig that could pull a horse trailer, and fit minimum of 5 occupants comfortably I just said screw it "ill find the biggest most rediculous suv I can". 2 days later I found our 2000 Ford Excursion Limited 4wd with 145k miles, the 6.8L V10, a 4.5" lift, a baja esk front bumper(offroad tech out of portland), 35" yokohamas, a torn drivers seat and a jacked up steering gear for $4600. No leaks, seeps, and descent maintenance history and 30k miles on the 4R100. Needless to say I was ecstatic and so was the wife once she began driving it. I immediatly ordered a redhead steering gear, $500 worth of redline full synthetic fluid, a custom 3" exhaust, and a banks automind tuner. The main point of the tuner was to firm up shift points(by 20psi), adjust the shift range, adjust the speedo for tire size, and help with fuel economy all of which it did very well and simple. I also took the 3rd row seating out and lo and behold it fits our hide-abed mattress perfectly! The yokohama at/s's that came with the truck still have around 10k left in them and I've been quite impressed with the traction and ride the tire provides albiet pretty soft sidewalls. Anyways our first trip is planned for early august and we'll be out in gifford pinchot around keenes horse camp area checking it out and getting our bearings as to what the drive with the horse trailer and livestock will entail. Along with fishing, hiking, and some road exploration im very excited to get the ex out on her first journey. Also, last week I managed to convince my manager to give me a single axle trailer chassi built in 01' for FREEEE!! Anyone care to guess whats going to be happening to that?!? I'm looking forward to talking with you guys about adventures and ideas.

-Blade

Last edited by Kuneefay; 07-18-2014 at 11:22.

Welcome to the forum. It sounds like you found the right vehicle for your family needs.
    Steve

K9PNW | Exploring the Pacific Northwest in my 1992 Toyota FJ80 Land Cruiser

Pacific Northwest Backroad Adventures - Pacific Northwest Outdoor Adventure Forums

Steve G. Bisig Photography
    - Pacific Northwest Photography: Nature, Landscapes, Rural, Urban

Welcome to the forum!
    Jerry
    Reading and Riding Northwest Backroads
    K7PNW

Welcome to the forum. You will learn a lot from the folks on here. Great bunch of people. Sounds like you got a nice rig. Congtrates!
    Rupe

welcome

Howdy!

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

Thread Information