Thread: SUV Tent Question

Bookmark and Share

Default SUV Tent Question

Hey I was looking at one of these SUV Tents and I was wondering if any of you have any experience with this type of tent. My concern is that the roof of my FJ cruiser is slanted toward the rear and I feel like rain water will come straight in the tent.

Thanks,
    Jeremy

Just in case anyone was curious, I contacted the company to see what they would say. Their answer was not very reassuring.

Hey Jeremy-

Technically, there is not a barrier to block water running down the roof from dripping in the gap between the roof and the rear hatch door. We never get a complaint.

If a concern, my advice would be to park the FJ on a slight downhill, where any water on its roof would run towards the front of the vehicle.

Thanks and let us know if you have any other questions.

Quick solution may be a piece of refrigerator door magnet across the roof of the FJ to make a barrier, and direct water away, granted I don't know much about the FJ's roof, I am guessing it is flat (no ribs, curved OK), and steel.
    Chris
    KD7ZKB

I may not know where I am going, but I am NOT lost.

The magnet thing is a great idea. I have the same problem with the tailgate glass on my canopy, but the canopy is fiberglass so the magnet idea wouldn't work. Good subject, I'm sure many of us are asking the same question.
    Jerry
    Reading and Riding Northwest Backroads
    K7PNW

OK the redneck engineer in me has a hard time leaving anything alone. While redoing some of the weather seal on my teardrop trailer, I bought a seal from (insert favorite big box hardware store) that was basically a hollow neoprene tube with a tail (P shape). A piece of paracord could be run through the hole, and secured on either side of the truck in a convenient place.
    As for water running off of the glass, never was able to cure that on my old rig's with canopies.
    Chris
    KD7ZKB

I may not know where I am going, but I am NOT lost.

Thanks for the replies, these are some good ideas.

A bungee cord stretch across the roof to divert the water.

Thread Information