Thread: Birthday thank-you

Bookmark and Share

Default Birthday thank-you

Hello Forum!
    Thank you for the nice birthday note. The "adventure" part of my birthday was pulling the thermostat housing from the 95 Explorer. A few weeks ago, Car Talk mentioned offhand they had seen a lot of Explorers come in that ran consistently cool and needed new thermostats. Well, that is just what my truck does. Running cool is not a real problem, just slow in heating up the passenger compartment. I did find that I could get up to "normal" on my vacation trip, towing a 2000lb pop-up through the Oregon foothills. The thermostat replacement seemed confirmed in the Great Explorations forum, so I ordered a new thermostat and waited for the recent chill and snow to pass. Today was good enough to work in the driveway. Removing the thermostat housing is straightforward enough, except for the tedium unscrewing the three fasteners with limit swing for a ratchet. Of course, the steel thermostat housing had a bit of surface rust so I won't be able to put it back together until the new paint dries. The original German Autolite thermostat is rated for 90C and has a little ball check valve. The replacement "Superstat" Stant item is rated for 92C and has no vent/valve apparent (although I think it is hidden as a nip in the valve face). Others have reported no particular problem with various thermostat selections.

best regards, Hugh
    95 Explorer Sport
    Seattle

Welcome Seattle Hugh driving a Ford Explorer from another Explorer driver.

For more detailed information on Explorers, check into Explorerforum.com 200,000 members worth of knowledge.

Tell us more about you camping Explorations.
    The ORIGINAL Phil!

Hugh,

I've spent a few birthdays doing the same thing, now that I've had 50 of them.

I need to do the same thing in my Land Cruiser. It takes a long time to get warmed up, especially when its very cold.

Steve
    Steve

K9PNW | Exploring the Pacific Northwest in my 1992 Toyota FJ80 Land Cruiser

Pacific Northwest Backroad Adventures - Pacific Northwest Outdoor Adventure Forums

Steve G. Bisig Photography
    - Pacific Northwest Photography: Nature, Landscapes, Rural, Urban

Happy Birthday, Go-pher, and welcome to the forum! I like your user name, very creative and appropriate for the hobby. Hope to meet you on the trail one of these days.
    Jerry
    Reading and Riding Northwest Backroads
    K7PNW

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry View Post
    Happy Birthday, Go-pher, and welcome to the forum! I like your user name, very creative and appropriate for the hobby. Hope to meet you on the trail one of these days.
    Stay away from Jerry! He only wants to meet you to take parts off your Explorer for his Bronco II (psst, Jerry, his X has a disc brake 8.8 ;-))
    The ORIGINAL Phil!

Quote Originally Posted by Albino94ltd View Post
    Stay away from Jerry! He only wants to meet you to take parts off your Explorer for his Bronco II (psst, Jerry, his X has a disc brake 8.8 ;-))
    I already have an Explorer disc brake 8.8 rear diff under my Bronco II, but I AM keeping track of who has what for future needs...Explorer owners beware! (Except for Gofer Baroque, he gets a short term pass because it's his birthday.)
    Last edited by Jerry; 02-13-2014 at 00:41.
    Jerry
    Reading and Riding Northwest Backroads
    K7PNW

Hello Forum!

The March update is tracking down a rough-running motor, noticed after, of all things, bolting a little Fort Knox safe between the front seats. I think it was just heightened awareness from the lock mechanism rattling. The cure for that was adding a thin foam layer between the buttons and the lock mechanism. As far as the motor, I looked up various causes in the Explorer forum:
    a) clean thin coat of scum from MAP sensor
    b) clean IAC valve
    c) verify EGR operation
    d) slot throttle position sensor to get idle voltage down around 1V

The above *seemed* like a small improvement each time but not really addressing the problem. The improvement came from changing the old OEM (perhaps original?) spark plug wires to Aurora wires. At the end, I also got a Ford code scanner that came back with the "restrictive exhaust" code, consistent with the retrained driveability at speed. I ordered a MagnaFlow direct-fit catalytic converter to address that as the next little project.

cheers, Hugh
    95 Explorer Sport
    Seattle

Thread Information