Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Oregon Trail off road adventure

Bookmark and Share

Default Oregon Trail off road adventure

So a couple of us Oregon boys decided to plan an Overland Adventure to follow, in reverse, the Oregon trail. We decided since a lot of the Oregon trail are now roads and Highways we will do our best to follow the direction they went while staying to backroads as much as possible. We are in the beginning stages of planning and our looking about 2 years out. Although we are new to the backroad adventuring we are excited about planning our trip and are open to tips ideas and even fellow Adventurists who'd like to take the challenge with us. We are also looking for someone to take over the camera work as we are also attempting to document our trip along the way. Anyway any advice or help will be much appreciated.

Didn't Ezra Meeker do the same back 80-90 years ago? Obviously a lot has changed, but his memoirs may provide some insight of the route.

Steve
    Steve

K9PNW | Exploring the Pacific Northwest in my 1992 Toyota FJ80 Land Cruiser

Pacific Northwest Backroad Adventures - Pacific Northwest Outdoor Adventure Forums

Steve G. Bisig Photography
    - Pacific Northwest Photography: Nature, Landscapes, Rural, Urban

Thanks Steve I'll look into it.

Well its coming along the team is put together there are five of us so far and the trip is tentatively planned for June/July of 2016. I am in the process of creating our map. I have been using Scribble Maps its pretty easy to use nd you can export it into google earth format. I am currently 35-40 hrs deep and 2/3 of the way complete. its taken way more time than I had expected. Once the map is complete we are going to do a short practice trip this summer. Our goal is to get a video/website/map put together so we can start perusing sponsors. Oh yeah and we got our logo done. Stay tuned for updates
    www.OregonTrailOffRoad.com
    1993 Toyota Land Cruiser
    Arb Front Bumper
    12K Warn VR12000
    LED Aux lights front and rear
    Locked front and rear

Sounds pretty awesome. Look forward to hearing more.

Sounds like a lot of fun and very interesting. You may have already been in contact with them, but in case you haven't, the Oregon-California Trails Association, the folks who map the trail in detail and place many of the various markers along the route(s), have printed maps available and might have something that could help the cause. From past experience I know there are unpublished maps available of other emigrant trails through individual members, and I would imagine even more for the Oregon Trail, so an email or phone call requesting maps of specific areas might be worthwhile.
    Oregon-California Trails Association (OCTA) - Oregon Trail History
    OCTA Northwest Chapter,*Covering Washington and Oregon,*OCTA

PS Northwest OCTA also has field trips and they are always looking for volunteers to help locate and mark different parts of the trail. You actually get out and tromp along the trail with metal detectors finding pieces and parts of wagon wheels, horse shoes and garbage thrown out by the settlers. They log their finds and re-bury them in the same hole they were found. That would be a fun experience and very informative as well. And as you probably already know there are several different legs or short cuts along the way so the trail branches off, sometimes for many miles, before it comes back together. All the more fun!
    Last edited by Jerry; 02-17-2014 at 10:17.
    Jerry
    Reading and Riding Northwest Backroads
    K7PNW

I was just wondering, are you planning to start your trek in Oregon City? If so, do you plan to follow the trail from Oregon City to Sandy and ZigZag? And, if so, which way from there, (a) over Lolo Pass or (b) take the Barlow Road before heading into The Dalles? I guess the other alternative is to drive up the Columbia.

Someday I would like to follow the trail as closely as possible from Oregon City to Government Camp (approx) and also over Lolo Pass. A few years ago "Nightfoam" (Ryan), led a bunch of us from this forum over the Barlow Road and that was a fun and interesting trip. It sure gave us a good feel for what the settlers must have gone through as they pushed their wagons over hundreds of fallen trees...and the trees were a lot bigger in 1855. I wouldn't mind doing that drive again!

Anyway, just wondering. This sounds like a really neat trip to me.
    Jerry
    K7PNW

Yes we are underway with the planning and its coming along we had our first team meeting about a month ago. There are 5 of us going so far and we still have some spots to fill we are looking spacificlly for someone with medical background and someone else who knows how to run a camera. Here is the team so far.
    Jason - Planner/navigation
    Dominic - History/sponsorship/Recovery
    Jesse - Videographer/logo & vehicle design
    Johnny - Mechanic
    Cauxby - Chef

Our start point is the end of the oregon trail museum in oregon city we thought this fitting. Our twist on the oregon trail is that we are trying to stay on unpaved roads as much as possible. The trade off is that we aren't truly staying to the original route, as much of the oregon trail is now paved roads and highways. Our route basically the same route as Barlow Rd but again we tried to avoid paved roads so it ended up being mostly NF roads. We are excited that we found not only an overland adventure but in many ways we are retracing the original 4-wheeled overland Adventure that the settlers embarked on.

We are planning on releasing the first video/website/Route Map sometime in late august early september so stay tuned and I'll let you know when we launch.

Jason
    1993 Toyota Land Cruiser
    Arb Front Bumper
    12K Warn VR12000
    Locked front and rear

A quick side note May 22-26th we are taking memorial day weekend and doing the Oregon Back Country Discovery Route 3 from ashland oregon to sisters oregon. If your interested let me know

Oregon Back Country Discovery

Jason
    1993 Toyota Land Cruiser
    Arb Front Bumper
    12K Warn VR12000
    Locked front and rear

Do you plan on following the Oregon Trail all the way to St. Louis? Otherwise how far to you plan on following the trail?

Also, the Discovery Route 3 sounds like fun and I'll bet you find some takers. Wish we could go, but we have a traditional family picnic and get together that weekend. We have missed some really good trips over the Memorial Day weekend.
    Jerry
    K7PNW

Thread Information