Thread: Finding our family dog

Bookmark and Share

Default Finding our family dog

I suppose the reasoning on sharing this thread is to share my newbie experience(s) in finding a versatile hunting dog incase there's anyone out there that may go through the same issues/challenges in the future.To be fair, in the beginning I didn't even know what a versatile dog was, or that they exhisted.

To start off, I'll share that we've a 10 year old daughter that has been working the wife and I for a dog for the last few years. We've always said, "maybe later," and put it off for a variety of reasons. Now that she's 10 we've felt that it's a now or never type scenario, and with her growing interest in outdoor activities, we've decided to get a bird dog. I'll spare you the debates, and share that we decided on a German Shorthaired Pointer.
    After getting the run around from one breeder (maybe more on that on a later date) we found Sage Brush Gun Dogs in Ellensburg, and after dealing with Scott and visiting his operation this last weekend, I can't speak highly enough of his set up. It's puppy time at his place, as he has 3 full litters and two super cute English Setter pups at his property at this time. This is a picture of my daughter with a 2 week old pup from the litter she's going to pick from. We still have one more 'play date' trip planned in a few weeks, and we'll pic our little guy up the third week in July.

I've never trained a bird dog (grew up with a Weimerainer, but that doesn't mean much now!), and I swear if you ask 5 fellas how to do it you'll get 5 different opinions. Fortunately I've got a bud with two well trained labs to help out with my clueless questions, and to help with researching intel.

After quite a bit of research I realized that a 'versatile' dog would be best for our family, as with many things in life, we're after variety, and wanted a dog and training that could match that. When I say variety, I mean we may chase Quail out by Roosevelt one weekend, grouse on the wet side another, maybe some canned Pheasants in Ellensburg at Cooke Canyon, and maybe jump a few ducks on a small pond while out putzing around on some DNR land. You just never know!
    Anyhow, I found the North American Versatile Hunting Dog Association, and after ringing the president of the local chapter down in Chehalis, joined up for my daughter and I. The NAVHDA chapter on the wet side trains near the Cowlitz, so we'll be able to have fishing and hunting/training all in one weekend if we want.

As of now I'm busy reading Joan Bailey's How to Help Gun Dogs Train Themselves and watching Bob West' series of DVD's, working on building a new fence at the house, and just getting ready to take delivery of our new pup.
    I'll post up more in this thread as things develop for us.

NAVHDA North American Versatile Hunting Dog Association Home Page

Sage Brush Gun Dogs Home
    Last edited by constructeur; 06-09-2013 at 22:24.

We made another kennel visit last weekend, and our daughter picked her puppy out. This is Sage Brush Gun Dogs Sol-leks. She picked the name after we read Call of the Wild together this Winter.

Here's a pic of Sol-leks dad, Willy. He's a very fit 62 lbs, and our boy will be right in the same size. We'll have to see how he Matures, but I plan on having him work birds on the Cooke Canyon preserve just outside of Ellensburg relatively soon, as well as work Chukar in the Wenas areas, and some property in the Klickitat-Goldendale area. 2 weeks until we get him home now!

Very cute puppy (like they all are) and good looking father.

Steve
    Steve

K9PNW | Exploring the Pacific Northwest in my 1992 Toyota FJ80 Land Cruiser

Pacific Northwest Backroad Adventures - Pacific Northwest Outdoor Adventure Forums

Steve G. Bisig Photography
    - Pacific Northwest Photography: Nature, Landscapes, Rural, Urban

Quote Originally Posted by Steve View Post
    Very cute puppy (like they all are)
    For sure! We've had Sol-leks home for a week now. He's house trained already, knows his name, and is doing well with come and kennel commands. Thursday he gave me his first point-on a manky dead crow Super cute to see though, so no complaints here.

I was able to meet up with another NAVHDA member and get some tips and pointers, as well as watch his adult dogs work. It's pretty awesome watching a full sized dog come to a screeching halt when they get on a bird! Here's my guy getting his first nose full of bird scent, and getting a chance to see what the fuss from the big dogs is all about.
    Last edited by constructeur; 08-03-2013 at 16:07.

The pup is growing leaps and bounds. I have him 'whoa' trained to not come through doors or eat until he's been released now. He's pointing birds well, and at least slowing down on how fast he breaks on them (to be expected.
    I also have him on an e-collar now, the Garmin Delta Upland, and that is quite nice as it essentially acts as a long range leash.

I recon we'll have some nice weekends of flyfishing, rafting, and upland shooting this coming Fall.

We have a German Shorthair Pointer/Chocolate Standard Poodle mix we retrieved from Craigslist. Poor guy was stuck in Bothell in a crate 10 hours a day/5 days a week. We are retired and have acreage so he has a wonderful new home. We just found him a soul mate, a black Standard Poodle, with whom he plays and shares toys. We love them as family.

Thread Information