Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Camping, but not in a campground

Bookmark and Share

Default Camping, but not in a campground

I'm looking for some places to go camping that are not traditional campgrounds. My basic premise is that I drive along a Forest Service Road to a secluded area with a nice view and a big enough area to the side to park a couple vehicles and put up a couple tents. I know I have seen some spots that I think would fit that bill when I have been on the trails at Evans Creek ORV. But I am looking more towards Central Washington area. Maybe around Manastash ridge? And I drive a truck so nothing that only jeep wranglers and suzuki sidekicks can get to.

Thanks!

Also I searched for a thread already addressing this and came up empty. If I missed it, please post the link to it.

If you're looking for a place to camp, check out some of the state wildlife areas. Most have many great campsites that are primarily used during hunting season.
    Steve

K9PNW | Exploring the Pacific Northwest in my 1992 Toyota FJ80 Land Cruiser

Pacific Northwest Backroad Adventures - Pacific Northwest Outdoor Adventure Forums

Steve G. Bisig Photography
    - Pacific Northwest Photography: Nature, Landscapes, Rural, Urban

Thanks Steve, I will look into state wildlife areas between here(Seattle area) and Central Washington area. Are there any you can recommend in the Kittitas County?

I know LT Murray has a a lot of hunting camp sites as well as the Colockum. I'm not sure about the Whiskey Dick and Quilomene areas for "hunting" camps. Anybody else care to add to the conversation on this one?
    Steve

K9PNW | Exploring the Pacific Northwest in my 1992 Toyota FJ80 Land Cruiser

Pacific Northwest Backroad Adventures - Pacific Northwest Outdoor Adventure Forums

Steve G. Bisig Photography
    - Pacific Northwest Photography: Nature, Landscapes, Rural, Urban

I think you are right on in naming the LT Murray and Colockum, Steve. I know of two comp sites in the Wenas, but only one of them is in the trees. Also the Wenas is several miles from I-90. I think there are a couple of camp sites off the main road into the Colockum, just up from the Kittitas Valley, and there are several wide spots along all the roads in the Colockum, Quilomene and Whiskey Dick, but not a tree in sight.
    Jerry
    Reading and Riding Northwest Backroads
    K7PNW

I know there lots of places that fit your bill around the Nile and Rimrock area. One great spot would be McDaniel Lake. And then there's Jumpoff Meadow, to name just a couple.
    Ted
    2006 Jeep Liberty, pretty much stock. But well stocked when I travel!

Thanks everyone! I am liking the idea of McDaniel Lake or Rimrock. A quick question in regards to these locations. My truck is a 4x4 and has good tires so I do not anticipate any issues. My buddy has a bone stock ford ranger with factory tires. Are most of these FS roads pretty tame? Thanks again! Trying to get back to where I go camping at least 2-3 times a year starting with this trip in mid-June.

Yes, at least the ones leading to the two sites I mentioned. In fact the road to McDaniel lake is paved most of the way. McDaniel lake 'sort-of' has a campground, but I stayed there all by myself one weekend in October. very nice and quiet.
    Ted

Sweet. I am to scout out McDaniel lake in a couple weeks. This is going to be some great summer camping!

Nice. I hope you enjoy it out there. Here's another something to keep on the radar especially since you are a fellow 'wet' sider:

http://www.pnwadventures.com/forum/w...road-expl.html

It is sort of a long thread and has been kicking around since last September, but if things go well it will coalesce in July. It looks to be a weekend trip, and mostly exploration, at the worst we _might_ have to use 4WD in places; though not quite tailored to the type of trip in this thread. Probably just bring your primary vehicle, leave the RV at home and come out and rough it with the rest of us!
    Last edited by teddyearp; 05-21-2013 at 18:50.
    Ted

Thread Information