Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Central Western Gifford Pinchot NF-The most remote and most likely for backroad expl?

Bookmark and Share

So, now that I know my 'new' status at work and will have regular weekends off, is there still enough interest in this area to start a thread in the 'Trip Planning' section? Shooting from the hip would be the 4th of July extended weekend.
    Ted
    2006 Jeep Liberty, pretty much stock. But well stocked when I travel!

Sounds good to me. A little close to the end of the Christmas Valley trip, but July 4th holiday weekend works for me...at least as of this date. Will the campgrounds be packed that weekend?
    Jerry
    Reading and Riding Northwest Backroads
    K7PNW

Not totally sure of our schedule that weekend but I am hoping to be there. Toy Man

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry View Post
    Will the campgrounds be packed that weekend?
    I knew I was shooting from the hip, didn't even consider this; yes they will be packed, probably the whole forest. Let me re-think this for a few days . . . .
    Ted

From my experience in that area, nearly every wide spot in the road has somebody camped on the three major summer holidays.
    Steve

K9PNW | Exploring the Pacific Northwest in my 1992 Toyota FJ80 Land Cruiser

Pacific Northwest Backroad Adventures - Pacific Northwest Outdoor Adventure Forums

Steve G. Bisig Photography
    - Pacific Northwest Photography: Nature, Landscapes, Rural, Urban

Quote Originally Posted by Steve View Post
    From my experience in that area, nearly every wide spot in the road has somebody camped on the three major summer holidays.
    ^^^ this.
    Ted

OK, I don't want this thread/idea to die. It looks like I will transition from 'labor' to 'management' at the end of this week. Meaning I will work on the clock through the 19th (pay period end) with my Tue and Wed off, then continue to work through the week of 20-24 on salary. A grueling 9 days in a row; and it looks like I will have to work tommorrow for a few hours as well.

At first I thought, "Hey let's do this on Mem day weekend". But no, for the same reasons not to do it near the 4th of July. The forest will be packed! And I'll be beat up and still in the adapting to a new schedule faze.

So, I would like to start thinking about this some where later in July or so . . . . . .

Thoughts?

I don't want to miss the opportinity to meet Toy Man with his massive amounts of toys to compare them with my minimal ones . . . . . .

And I think Jerry said he was paying for the beer.

Heck, maybe Steve was going along with his most excellent camera skills . . . . . .
    Last edited by teddyearp; 05-14-2013 at 19:09.
    Ted

I am looking forward to the trip as long as we can maneuver it into our schedule. Of course I will be wearing a disguise so I won't have to buy the beer. Hint: Look for someone short and skinny...that will be me.
    Jerry
    K7PNW

Short and skinny - that is definitely you.... And I have a new toy. The wife says we WILL be at the Steam Up in Brooks OR the last weekend in July. Not sure which day. And I have July 6 marked as a trip with this group somewhere. What would that be for?? Toy Man

Quote Originally Posted by toy man View Post
    and i have a new toy.
    so, don't keep us in the dark...what is it?

the wife says we will be at the steam up in brooks or the last weekend in july. Not sure which day.
    if we want to see toy man's toys, we had better not plan on the last weekend in july for the gp run

and i have july 6 marked as a trip with this group somewhere. What would that be for??
    That was the revised date for the gifford pinchot run prior to the current exploratory date. Don't worry, be happy. We've got our wives to look after us at home and teddyearp will take care of us here. Do like me, put your shawl over your shoulders and go take a nap.
    Gettin' old ain't for sissies!

PS I think I heard you say you would buy the beer.

Jerry
    K7PNW

Thread Information