Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Central Western Gifford Pinchot NF-The most remote and most likely for backroad expl?

Bookmark and Share

Thanks, Ted. I am looking forward to hearing their thoughts.
    Jerry
    Reading and Riding Northwest Backroads
    K7PNW

I was in this area a few years ago (2009). The only issue I ran into in the summer was that much of the private forest land was gated off, not to prevent access but because of the fire danger.

Makes sense. And good reason to explore that area soon before private property owners react to continued fire danger and increased expense from dumping and higher road maintenance costs created by a growing population of SUV owners (hey, that's us) and close the gates permanently. If there is currently a possibility of reaching that part of the forest I think we should put it on our calendar for a weekend date late this fall or early this summer that usually precedes fire season. That would have to be a SWAG based on USFS best estimates. Maybe Ted, our "inside man" (and a busy man with fingers is many pies), can help us in that department as well?
    Jerry
    K7PNW

I would be in for that. I really enjoy GF, and would love to explore it further. Maybe if we combine the explore with a bit of clean-up, folks may let us through.
    Ty.. 2008 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited X

Well, I got a chance to talk with one of the FS employees today. She said that out past the Green River horse camp there's a ton of old logging and mining roads that wind around. Most don't go through anywhere, some are washed out, and there's even still some mining claims out in them there parts.

Sounds like some fun, though.
    Ted
    2006 Jeep Liberty, pretty much stock. But well stocked when I travel!

Quote Originally Posted by teddyearp View Post
    Well, I got a chance to talk with one of the FS employees today. She said that out past the Green River horse camp there's a ton of old logging and mining roads that wind around. Most don't go through anywhere, some are washed out, and there's even still some mining claims out in them there parts.

Sounds like some fun, though.
    It sure does sound like fun. When do you suppose the roads will be ready to travel, not only beyond the Green River Horse Camp, but deeper into the GP as well...just in case?
    Jerry
    K7PNW

Well, as you know that could be hard to estimate. From looking at Google terrain, the highest elevation to get to Green River horse camp is about 3000ft. So perhaps sometime in June it _might_ be doable.

randle, wa - Google Maps

Also, in looking at that map, it doesn't really show much at all in the way of roads out there, but if you switch to satellite view, then one can see some potential. It definately would not be like most exploration trips posted on this site, we would be, hmm, how shall I say, totally on our own; exploring. A GPS device with saved maps I will have if I can go. And then there's those lakes on that map. When I asked about the area to the west of Green River horse camp, the lady's eyes kind of sparkled, and said that's how her and her husband get in 'the back way' to some of those lakes, albeit with much hiking straight up and down hill; probably beyond my fitness level at this time.

So, it could be a great adventure, or a bunch of great dead ends. Right now I still have a workweek weekend (Tue-Wed), but if I smell the winds correctly at work, that may change as soon as June, mayhaps no later than July. Either way, I could do some scouting near the end of May.
    Last edited by teddyearp; 04-28-2013 at 17:53.
    Ted

Thanks, Ted, right on! It appears those roads dead-end at the mining claims, or perhaps old log landings. You never know what you will find while exploring, and exploring is no problem for most folks in this group as most of us have been doing it for years...one dead-end road after another It just depends on how long it takes to explore that area and if there is time we can move on to a different location afterwards.
    Jerry
    K7PNW

Quote Originally Posted by hungry vulture View Post
    I would be in for that. I really enjoy GF, and would love to explore it further. Maybe if we combine the explore with a bit of clean-up, folks may let us through.
    After looking at a color GPNF folding map it appears that immediately west of the GPNF boundary there is a finger of of land that is part of the Mount St Helens National Volcanic Monument and private land beyond that. No roads are shown in that part of the National Monument so it probably acts as a complete break between private roads to the west and GPNF roads to the east. Anybody have ranger district maps or other maps with better detail? On the ground exploring will answer that question!
    Jerry
    K7PNW

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry View Post
    Anybody have ranger district maps or other maps with better detail? On the ground exploring will answer that question!
    Soft copies here:

USDA Forest Service FSGeodata Clearinghouse - FSTopo Primary Base Series / States & Territories

The ones called Vanson Peak and Winters Mountain are the area I'm talking about, maybe even Coyote Mountain as well . . .
    Ted

Thread Information