Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Central Western Gifford Pinchot NF-The most remote and most likely for backroad expl?

Bookmark and Share

Question Central Western Gifford Pinchot NF-The most remote and most likely for backroad expl?

I am thinking about trying to explore the area(s) west of NF26 on the Gifford Pinchot. Does anyone here have any experience with that area including the area around the Green River Horse camp?

More specifically, it looks like there's some lakes slightly SW of Ryan lake. Obscurity Lake and Boot lake are two of the names. Also, it looks like I could spend a whole day driving down some of the roads in that area between there and Riffe Lake; or mainly in the Mt. Margaret area.

Thanks in advance.

All roads north of the 26-25 intersection are gated closed as the land has been basically turned over to a timber company and security for the dam. I drove 26 south to Mt St Helens last summer, so at least it's open again. Pretty remote area with some old roads to explore to their end. If you go early spring, take a chainsaw.

Very interesting question. I would also like to know. It appears that current access would be from the north or west across private forest land, but that's just at a quick glance. A call to the local USFS Ranger District might help followed by some hands-on exploration this summer. Maybe a PNW Backroad Adventure Run? Thanks for posing the question and I am looking forward to reading more replies.
    Jerry
    Reading and Riding Northwest Backroads
    K7PNW

Jerry - Thanks for volunteering to lead this run. I'm in. Toy Man

Rock Lobster, thank you. I was talking more about further up FR26 up and away from FR25. I ended up going to the Green River Horse camp and then over to the other side of the forest:

http://www.pnwadventures.com/forum/c...-5-2012-a.html

But since Jerry is volunteering to lead a run out this way and pay for gas I'm in too.
    Ted
    2006 Jeep Liberty, pretty much stock. But well stocked when I travel!

But since Jerry is volunteering to lead a run out this way and pay for gas I'm in too.
    And nice guy that he is I heard something about free beer.

Jerry has left the building.
    Jerry
    K7PNW

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry View Post
    Jerry has left the building.
    To buy beer and gas cards? I'm in.
    The ORIGINAL Phil!

Hey, Ted, did you ever check with the USFS Ranger District Office regarding access to the NW corner of the Gifford Pinchot? If entrance is feasible I think that would make a good backroad trip this summer. And even if it doesn't work out there are plenty of other places in the GP to explore. Just wondering how that corner pans out. Thanks!

PS I wish you the best in your new job!
    Jerry
    K7PNW

No I never did, but they come into my work fairly often so I will try to remember to wup out the ole map and ask some questions. And thanks.
    Ted
    2006 Jeep Liberty, pretty much stock. But well stocked when I travel!

Thread Information