Thread: Utah rain storm

Bookmark and Share

Default Utah rain storm

The was a rain storm in the Green River/Hanksville area on Aug 19th that played havoc with roads in the area. It then moved east across the Green River into the Horsethief Trail/Mineral Bottom area of the White Rim Trail.

If you have been down the Horsethief Cliffs the following picture is 'interesting'

White Rim Trail washout closes Mineral Bottom switchbacks |

Dick - Toy Man

Updated: August 24, 2010

On August 19th, severe storms caused flash flooding and rock falls that blocked or washed away roads throughout the Canyonlands area. One of the more dramatic washouts occurred on the Mineral Bottom Road switchbacks (see photo), where signifcant portions of the road were obliterated. This damage will affect all groups traveling the White Rim Road or planning river trips that launch or take-out at Mineral Bottom.

Below is a summary of the current closures throughout the park:

Island in the Sky District - White Rim Road The White Rim Road is impassable beyond Upheaval Canyon. Groups traveling the White Road Road will need enough supplies to reverse their trip and exit the park via the Shafer Trail or Potash Road.

Green River - Mineral Bottom
    All roads to Mineral Bottom are impassable. There are currently no accurate estimates for how long repairs to the switchbacks will take.

Needles District
    All four-wheel-drive roads are closed. This includes Elephant Hill, Confluence Overlook, Horse Canyon/Salt Creek and Lavender Canyon.

Maze District
    The roads from Utah Highway 24 to Hans Flat or Horseshoe Canyon currently require high-clearance, four-wheel-drive vehicles. The road from Green River to Horseshoe Canyon is impassable. All other roads are open.

Regarding roads that are still passable it sounds like a place for only the most hardy and experienced of backroad explorers.
    Jerry
    Reading and Riding Northwest Backroads
    K7PNW

Hmm, think I might reevaluate my plans to run the White Rim road next spring :/
    -Ryan Mishler
    If you don't climb the mountain, you can't see the view

They will put a lot of effort into getting these roads fixed but I'm not sure that the cliffs will be repaired by then.

If you do the White Rim, I recommend running it counter-clockwise because of problems like this and the scenery just
    keeps getting more awesome.

I would also recommend a minimum of two nights camping.

And a trip out the White Crack and dropping down into Lathrop Canyon if you have time.

Toy Man

I wonder if we could find anyone who has explored that area recently who might write a trip report and post some pictures of their adventure?
    Jerry
    Reading and Riding Northwest Backroads
    K7PNW

He He. Who might that be?

Patience. Progress is being made. Should have the trip report within the week. Pictures will probably take a little longer.

Toy Man

Thread Information