Thread: Drive-in lake?

Bookmark and Share

Default Drive-in lake?

Well, my intro is posted so now it's down to business!

I'm itching to get out camping and to do a bit of fly fishing, but pretty much all of my favorite spots are on rivers (not open for fishing until June). I'm looking for a relatively remote lake that I can drive into and camp as well as hopefully toss out a line and relax! I could hike a bit from camp to get to the lake, but I'm tied to the truck for camping because I don't quite have enough backpacking gear yet.

I'll be testing out this piece of equipment:
    Amazon.com: Grand Trunk Ultralight Hammock: Sports & Outdoors

(another reason I want to be close to the truck - in case it doesn't work out!)

Any suggestions? I'm hoping to stay within a couple hours of Puyallup and not too high in elevation (or at least non-frozen lakes).

Thanks!

Only one suggestion...don't hang the hammock too high off the ground!!!!!!
    Jerry
    Reading and Riding Northwest Backroads
    K7PNW

Hope you don't mean "Drive-in Lake" like this guy meant "drive in lake"!!

"My father says that almost the whole world is asleep. Everybody you know. Everybody you see. Everybody you talk to. He says that only a few people are truly awake and they live in a state of constant, total amazement." Joe vs the Volcano

Anywhere within 2 hrs of Puyallup is going to see a lot of fishing pressure. If you have a float tube, urban lakes can still be enjoyable.

The Yakima River is starting to come alive. You can get some more info here;Creekside Angling Company

Yeah, I'm planning to float tube it...

I've been looking at some of the lakes in Southeast Olympic National Forest. Spider Lake, Elk Lake, Jefferson. A couple of hours recon with the DeLorme and Google Earth helped my search. The area I was originally thinking is probably too high elevation for this time of year, but looks like there's some great spots for summer (Gifford Pinchot).

Also modifying the search to "drive-near" lakes!

Is there any good "primative" camping along the upper Yak? The whole area looks like it has some potential, but I haven't explored much around there.

Let me know if anybody ever wants to fly-fish with me - I normally hit the mountain streams all summer (and just getting started on lakes).

Quote Originally Posted by zjsheller View Post
    Hope you don't mean "Drive-in Lake" like this guy meant "drive in lake"!!

LOL Brian, THats not the same ZJ in your avatar is it?????????????????????? HMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM!!!!!!!!!!!! ( Just kidding! LOL)

We live up in Burlington and we love to hit the higher trails we can cover in our XJ! I have been fly fishing for several years and am trying to get into small mountain streams this summer. I just bought my wife and 12 yo son ultra light spinning outfits and myself a 6 ft 3 wt fly outfit to add to my myraid of other rods! Any time you want to get together and hit some streams let us know.
    Anything you do in the great outdoors, CANT be ALL bad!
    As long as you can do it in the back country!

I'm in the south end so maybe we can swap secret spots sometime. You'll love the 3-wt - I got a Cabela's 3wt combo last summer (7'6") and it's been awesome! I makes fishing for the 6-10" trout in most higher elevation streams surprisingly fun. I can't wait for the streams to open back up!

Hey, Kach... How'd the hammock work out?

I made my own hammock out of a few yards of rip-stop nylon on sale for $1/yard Wal-Mart. REALLY easy. I made tree straps for it too, with adjustable positions to clip the carabiner to to quickly adjust the height. I also rigged a simple mosquito net for it and have a silnylon tarp I sewed to cover it.

I'm an Assistant Scoutmaster with my son's Boy Scout troop and I sleep in my hammock on at least 90% of the campouts we go on.

As for a lake to try, I brought my boys up to Cora Lake. It's in Thurston County if you're looking it up. It's a bit south-southwest of Mt. Rainier. It requires a 45-minute or so hike up from the forest service road. I'm not sure there are any fish in there any more, but 12 years ago my friend and I both caught our limits by 2 p.m. of some pretty big rainbows.

There are some camping sites up there, but all are primitive. As in dig-your-own-cat-hole primitive.
    -- Tim Taylor
    Port Orchard, Wash.

Thread Information