Thread: fly fishing???????????

Bookmark and Share

Default fly fishing???????????

Is anyone in here a serious fly fisherman? I do a fair bit, but mostly on larger rivers. I would like to get a couple small ultra light spinning outfits and at least one very light fly outfit for SMALL streams and beaver ponds. Would like to be able to hit some trout on the streams and ponds we see when adventuring about! Thinking about a 3 wt. What type of line and how long a rod? wt forward vs DT. short vs long rods? HELP! LOL

I have a few 5 wt's as well as 7 and heavier rods for salmon and steelhead, now I want a small light trout rod.
    Anything you do in the great outdoors, CANT be ALL bad!
    As long as you can do it in the back country!

I haven't been stream fishing for quite some time. In fact, last summer at Concunully was the first time fishing in many years.

A fishing adventure sounds like a fun type of trip. Would probably have to plan for a camping/fishing adventure with a little bit of exploring vs the typical drive all day type of trip.

Because I've been out of it for so long, I would have no clue where to go for such a trip.
    Steve

K9PNW | Exploring the Pacific Northwest in my 1992 Toyota FJ80 Land Cruiser

Pacific Northwest Backroad Adventures - Pacific Northwest Outdoor Adventure Forums

Steve G. Bisig Photography
    - Pacific Northwest Photography: Nature, Landscapes, Rural, Urban

I bet Phil (Alibino94ltd) can tell you where some good spot are. I hear he is a great fly fisherman!

~ Jon

Quote Originally Posted by JDavis View Post
    I bet Phil (Alibino94ltd) can tell you where some good spot are. I hear he is a great fly fisherman!

~ Jon
    A good fly fisher never divulges the location of his rock

If you're talkin really small streams, a 7ft 3wt would be awesome. As for the line, meh, doesn't matter between WF or DT. As you probably know, one of the ideas behind the DT is that you can turn it around and get twice the life out of it.

All mine are WF, helps push them into the wind All the water I used to fish was shallow enough that I didn't need a sink tip or full sinker, I could get as deep as I wanted with a nice long leader and weighted fly. If the water as too fast, I'd add a little weight up from the fly or move to another piece of water.

I'm sure techniques have advanced a lot since I was actively tossing bugs.

Well, I did it this week. Picked up a sweet little 6 ft 3 wt from the local sport store. Casts very nice and I dont have any trouble putting 25 - 30 ft casts where I want them easily!
    Anything you do in the great outdoors, CANT be ALL bad!
    As long as you can do it in the back country!

Thread Information