Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: winter camping

Bookmark and Share

Default winter camping

Well the old thermometer is setting on 13 this morning!...Kinda gets me all excited for winter. My favorite time for wheeling! I am planning on setting up my wall tent in the Blues after hunting season and leaving it up for a couple months to wheel into and do some winter camping. I love snow camping and thought this might be a cool way to enjoy it.. I have a spot in mind that doesn't see much snowmobile traffic and the snow rarely gets over 4 ft. deep. I have a giant tarp that I cover it with, so the snow will mostly slide off. My ridge pole is made from aluminized exhaust tubing(1 3/4 with piece of 1 1/2 inside it) with an upright in the middle so it will handle a load....Man, I can't hardly wait! Ya, I know, I must be some kind of an idiot...I think thats the term my lovely wife used? So any comments or suggestions?...Rod
    1965 fj40 355,465,twin stick 205,14 bolt rear,d60 front, SOA rear , 16" sway-a-way coilovers w/custom y link and panhard front, 8274 warn,onboard air,welder,gps,and 37" cooper STT's

Just got back today from steelhead fishing/camping, one of the guys a wall tent with a propaine heater in it. That thing cooked me out of it lol.

I have a little wood stove for mine. It will run you clean out! My tent is an older very heavy canvas but only has 3ft side walls so I bought the materials yesterday to build 2ft plywood stem walls to set it up on..I think it will make it alot nicer and keep out the snow as well....so did you catch any fish?
    1965 fj40 355,465,twin stick 205,14 bolt rear,d60 front, SOA rear , 16" sway-a-way coilovers w/custom y link and panhard front, 8274 warn,onboard air,welder,gps,and 37" cooper STT's

Yah several steelhead in the 32-35" range but most were natives so we had to release them. Came home with 4 keepers though out of the group of us.

Wow! sounds like good fishing...I have been to busy this year...I usually spend alot of time on the clearwater, but my little sled is just sitting in the driveway and hasn't been ran this year...and what a great run from what I've heard. Oh well there is always November?....Maybe my wife was right ...I do have to many hobbies!....Rod

I've actually considered doing some sort of fall/winter camping. With the days as short as they are now, it's almost impossible to explore an area in one day. An overnighter would be the way to do it.

After running the Naches Trail this past weekend I found out just how amazing that area is (never been there before) and I would have liked to had the opportunity to explore more of the Forest Service roads in the area.

Just not sure how bad I want to camp out in the rain yet.

Well I did it today! I took my wall tent up to the blues and set it up. I built a full internal frame of 1 1/2" aluminized exhaust tube with triple rafters. I also built plywood stem walls to keep it up out of the snow and then tarped the whole thing with a heavy tarp. I left 6 feet of tarp out front for an awning. I put the wood stove in and plywood floor....awww....just like home. It snowed lighly all day as I was setting it up. wich got me pretty excited!
    I think I picked a good spot back in the trees blocked from the wind and no snags that would reach the tent....that would suck! I am a little worried about heavy snow but I can run up to the tent any time and clear it off. It's about 30 miles from the house. I am leaving it up until the first of the year unless we have a snow year like last year then I will pull it out early. I plan on going in every weekend from now till after thanksgiving!...I'll take some pictures next weekend and show you my contraption...I call it lol....

cheers, Rod

well the wife and I spent the weekend in the wall tent. It was really a great time. It was 17 degrees saturday night when we went to bed. About 4 inches of snow on the ground. Built a roaring fire in the stove and just kicked back listening to talk radio and really just enjoying life. I realized at that moment how lucky I was to be able to go out and enjoy this time of year in the mountains. And to have a wife that goes along with about what ever I do. She had a great time. In fact we both have friday saturday and sunday off.We are going to the tent and sunday we will be having the Timber Tramp 4x4 club showing up to do a snow run and then a thanksgiving feast with trash can turkey and all the fixins....what a life! More to come.............

I just got back from 5 days and 4 nights of snow camping outside of burns, Or. We were camped at 5,300ft. low temp was 8. I actually slept in my bronco every night, with a low of 25 in the bronco in the morning. I didn't use any heaters. My dad slept in his dome tent with a little propane heater for bedtime and mornings, and three others slept in the wall tent with an average temp.of 60 ,with the wood stove.

Nice..!
    Man, I need lockers again.. :-)

Thread Information