Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Group 2-Meter Simplex Frequency

Bookmark and Share

Quote Originally Posted by Steve View Post
    Since I'm in the process of programming my radio, I thought I might bring up an old post.

Looking at the 2012 Washington State 2m Band Plan at https://www.wwara.org/WWARA_BAND_PLAN_2012_07_08.pdf I noticed that it lists the simplex frequencies at 146.52-146.58 and 147.52-147.60 which is a different range as posted earlier.

With this in mind, should I just program in starting at 146.52 with 20 kHz spacing?

Or do people just operate on whatever frequency falls within this range?
    Steve,

When I saw VNBD and UNBD in that band plan it made me curious. I haven't found anything definitive, but since I saw mention of digital, I think those acronyms may be Very NarrowBand Digital and UltraNarrowBand Digital which must be digital mode repeaters of some sort for digitally encoded voice transmissions (instead of FM used by most 2m radios unless you're using the "weak signal" modes down in the lower part of the band.) From what little I saw in a quick search, I think those allocations may be unique to the area covered by the Western Washington Amateur Relay Association. The ARRL band plan doesn't carve out that spectrum for repeaters. I'd probably just treat it like regular old simplex frequencies as before unless you are in the WWARA territory (whatever that is) and need to avoid those. What I don't know is if the repeater coordinator organizations for other areas have done something similar. Such is the state of ham radio -- very hard to get nation-wide agreement on this sort of thing so you could just set your radio up and know you'd be OK wherever you are. A prime example is the 20kHz/15kHz spacing difference. I suppose it isn't a problem if you stay in one area, but when you travel around it is a pain. In practice I don't know how big of an issue it really is if you're out in the boonies since I never heard anyone on a nearby channel to cause interference although I really haven't used my radios that much.

Thanks for the heads up, Steve. The digital provision does not show in my 2009 copy of the Repeater Directory and I never paid attention to it in the Western Washington Band Plan. Like Alan said, it doesn't bother us much on this side of the mountains. Actually I hardly ever use 2-Meter Simplex below 146.52MHz and my receiver has never stopped scanning at any of those frequencies other than for voice. And now for my last feeble excuse, when we travel to the Puget Sound area I usually turn off my radio around North Bend because the scan function is so heavily loaded with traffic it drives me crazy. We really are hillbillies over here in Yakima!

I did some reading as well and came across a question about this scenario in a Western Washington forum. The guy was asking about a strong interference coming from an adjacent channel to 146.52MHz and it turns out it was one of the digital frequencies in the Puget Sound area. So, Steve, I imagine you can also expect some interference on the lower simplex frequencies in your neck of the woods.

Unless you are absolutely plagued by interference from the digital frequencies I would follow Alan's advice and program all of the simplex frequencies into your radio anyway. If one or more of them interfere with your normal communications simply lock them out and don't worry about it until someday when you might need to them while visiting Murphy Hot Springs, Idaho!?

Regarding the 20KHz spacing, yes, program your simplex frequencies at 20KHz intervals staying between the suggested borders. As you travel throughout the Pacific Northwest, or P N W (a little inside joke there), you will find that virtually all 2-Meter repeaters and Simplex frequencies in Washington State will have 20KHz separation. Probably 90% of Oregon and Idaho repeaters will have 20KHz spacing while the remainder will have 15KHz spacing due to frequencies established prior to current band plan organization. Many of Oregon's 15KHz repeaters are located in the Portland area as well as along the southern border of the state and many of Idaho's 15KHz repeaters are also located along the southern border. Northern Nevada's band plan calls for 20KHz spacing, but you will find that up to half of them are 15Khz. There are not that many frequencies involved and your radio has plenty of room to program all of them if you wish.

I program all 59 designated 2-Meter Repeater frequencies, all 22 designated 2-Meter Simplex frequencies as well as some of the odd-ball frequencies into my radios. Since several different locations use the same repeater frequency I program the tone that I am most likely to use. When I drive from my home location to another that uses a different tone I can listen to the conversations without changing a thing. But, if I want to talk I need to pull over to the side of the road and change the tone. I also program well over a hundred 440 repeater and simplex frequencies. All of my 2m/440 radios are programmed the same.

Again, thanks for bringing the digital business to our attention. Good information.
    Jerry
    Reading and Riding Northwest Backroads
    K7PNW

Thread Information