Thread: 6 to 24 inches?!

Bookmark and Share

Default 6 to 24 inches?!

That's how much snow we're supposed to be getting. We're halfway to the max at this point (12 inches or more now).

Still snowing like crazy! We took the M715 up our dirt road 1/2 mile to the "frog pond." That's an area that will soon be developed as a housing community right up the road from us. For now, the developers have just piled up tons and tons of dirt from a nearby phase of their development into a huge hill there by the pond. So that's where we went sledding with the boys and a neighbor with his kid. We built a small jump and Jennifer (Mrs. Binford) got a lot of great pics!

As we were getting ready to head out, a full-sized Blazer came up and over the berm that blocks this area off. I'd tried it last year in the M715, but the breakover was just too sharp. But lots of ATVs and such have since worn it down a bit.

As we got to the parked M715 out alongside our road, a YJ and CJ-7 arrived, both pretty nicely done up. The YJ guy had apparently seen me and the M715 before (though I have no recollection of who he was or when we'd met!). He said he'd seen a vehicle on the side of the road with a bunch of people standing around so he came over to see if we needed help. Then he said, "Then I saw what it was and thought, 'no....he doesn't need help!'" I agreed and added, "Maybe YOU do! Heh, heh, heh...."

He and the CJ joined the Blazer (they were friends) and drove around in the snow. With Jennifer and the boys watching, my neighbor and I hopped in the M715 and made it up and over the berm....

We then joined the other Jeeps for a little playing in the snow for about 10 minutes. No problem!

Forecast is calling for this beautiful snow to turn to freezing rain tonight. I don't care how much it snows--I'm not traveling next week, so I'll just be here at home. Unless I decide I can't restrain myself from taking the M715 out for a run to the store or something!
    -- Tim Taylor
    Port Orchard, Wash.

Nice, Tim, looks like fun...

Mick
    KE7PIT

Hmmmmmm, now why do I think I have seen this somewhere else.......?

Really nice M715!
    Last edited by hutchman; 12-22-2008 at 23:54.
    N7GS

Binford that is a great sledding photo!!! Looks like the kids were getting some serious hang time. Man, I miss those days. If I did that today, I'd be hobbling around for a week.

Cool, truck can't wait to see it out in the wild.

~ Jon

I went down once on the inner tube. A lot more cushion that way. But I wasn't about to try it as the kids were!

As for seeing the truck in the wild, I'm only legal to drive it (on public roads at least) to and from parades, club events (which a backroads trip would qualify in my mind), uncompensated rides, etc. Top speed is 60, but even that will overheat the transfer case, so 55 is about all I can do. And that's no fun. 45 is much better! So I don't know if I'd be taking it anywhere other than a local run.

Yeah, Hutch. I'm a cross-poster. (Just like you!) Heh, heh, heh....

Here are a couple shots I took yesterday, with the blue skies and all the snow on the trees! This is up on the hill where the boys did some more sledding.

-- Tim Taylor
    Port Orchard, Wash.

I think it is good to support the quality forums that we find....even when we cross post. Not everyone sees stuff on the other forums. I appreciate the posts here and wherever else they end up. Good stuff!
    N7GS

I agree. Besides, better a cross-poster than a cross-dresser. I'm just sayin'....

Okay, I've been up and down the driveway, still covered with more than 14 inches of snow, four or five times in the M715. This morning I knocked all the snow off the '01 Silverado 2500HD diesel truck 4x4 and headed up the driveway. Got about three feet, if that. Backed up a bit and got a bit of a run. Maybe six feet. Back again and took another run at it.... Seven or eight runs at it later I was finally able to get up the driveway (about 400 feet).

I've also had the M715 up the neighbor's driveway a couple of times at least with this snow. Nary a problem. I drove the Silverado up there and couldn't make it!

Neither the Silverado nor the M715 have lockers, limited-slips or anything special. The only real difference in drivetrains then would be the tires. Standard LT tires on the Silverado and the aggressive-tread XLs on the M715. Unless perhaps weight has something to do with it (Silverado 7200# vs. M715 5500#)?

I'll tell ya though, I have a great deal more respect for that M715 now! I am truly impressed by the capabilities of these trucks!
    -- Tim Taylor
    Port Orchard, Wash.

DOes this mean we just MAY see the rig AND YOU on the27th? LOL we are sure looking forward to that run! we ARE gonna have fun! Bring your chowder cup and warm gear! LETS DO IT!
    Anything you do in the great outdoors, CANT be ALL bad!
    As long as you can do it in the back country!

There's no heater in my M715. More to the point, no defroster/defogger. I'll drag it out for one of these trips later in the spring or summer though.
    -- Tim Taylor
    Port Orchard, Wash.

Thread Information