Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need Advice for Northern California Coast

Bookmark and Share

Default Need Advice for Northern California Coast

Evelyn and I have been discussing the northern California coast as a possible winter getaway, perhaps in Januray. Does anyone know if the various Redwood parks are open in the winter, not to camp, just to sight see? Any other suggestions for scenic wonders within a few miles of the coast would be appreciated. We probably won't go as far south as the Bay Area, but maybe. Thought we would go down 101 and 1 then come back 101 and head for Redding and K Falls on the way home.
    Jerry
    Reading and Riding Northwest Backroads
    K7PNW

I know someone living in Eureka. I'll ask him for you, Jerry.
    -- Tim Taylor
    Port Orchard, Wash.

Been a number of years since I have been down that way but I feel sure the parks will be open.

I would also take old 101 instead of the new cutoff (which is great if you are in a hurry.)

Fern Beach is nice but requires a walk into if I remember correctly.

Visit Ferndale just to say you have been there.

Toy Man

Quote Originally Posted by Binford View Post
    I know someone living in Eureka. I'll ask him for you, Jerry.
    Thanks, much appreciated. I've looked up some of the info on line and have sent for tourist magazine, but getting info first hand is the best way.

Originally Posted by ToyMan
    Been a number of years since I have been down that way but I feel sure the parks will be open.

I would also take old 101 instead of the new cutoff (which is great if you are in a hurry.)

Fern Beach is nice but requires a walk into if I remember correctly.

Visit Ferndale just to say you have been there.

Toy Man
    Thanks for the good advice. I noticed that much of 101 is now freeway so will try to stay on the old road as much as possible. I haven't been down that way since I was a kid riding in the back seat of my parents 51 Oldsmobile.
    Jerry
    K7PNW

Hey there Jerry!

Might be some good info over here.........

AMERICAN ROAD® FORUM—the ultimate road trip community. Copyright AMERICAN ROAD, LLC 2006-2007 -> Pacific Coast Highway / U.S. 101

Pretty good forum for 2 lane highway info, although the forum is not real active. Member "Keep the Show on the Road" is a wealth of knowledge on western 2 lane roads including the older sections. He lives in the Tacoma area and always seems ready to help with info.
    N7GS

Default north califoria coast

Sounds like fun, been there, done that. want some help getting lost?

Richard Leek

Jerry, it's been quite a few years since I've been down that way also.

South of Eureka you can turn off 101 onto Hwy 211 at Fernbridge and head southwest to a lonesome section of the coast. The "Lost Coast" area is south of here, although I haven't been there. It follows the coast for a while then curves eastward and heads into the Redwoods.

From there you could head north, take backroads east or head south on Hwy 101 then head back over to the coast at Leggett (if you haven't had enough) and follow Hwy 1 as far as you can stand. Yes, it goes all the way to the bay area.

There's a lot to see down there if you stay off the main traveled roads.

But I'll say this. There's nothing in northern California that compares with the Oregon Coast for scenery. Now weather, especially in the winter, is another story. Although, the weather is usually warmer and sunnier south of Gold Beach.

BTW, Joey and I will be at Depoe Bay for a week at Christmas enjoying some of that scenery and whatever else Mother Nature decides to throw at us.

Mick
    KE7PIT

hutchman, richardattek and RidgeRunner,
    thanks for your suggestions; they are just what I was looking for. Small world, Mick, I was reading about some easy 4x4 trails in the "Lost Coast" area that sounded like fun, but we will be driving the Ford Escape and probably would not venture onto them as a lone vehicle. Of course Rich can attest to the fact that Escapes can and do go places one would never believe. But, the rest of the Lost Coast is definitely on our list of places to see. The disguised farm would be fun to see, Rich, and that link to the American Road forum is excellent, Hutch. I will read it thoroughly as well as refer to it when I plan the trip. Thanks again, you guys!
    Jerry
    K7PNW

My Eureka pal said he'll look into the current situation regarding closures and such and get back to me in a day or two. He says they used to be open year-round, but with the money troubles the PRK is experiencing lately, they may have cut back some.

Anyway, if he gets back to me, I'll post up what I learn. But have a good trip regardless!
    -- Tim Taylor
    Port Orchard, Wash.

Jerry: I think you would enjoy the drive from Garberville on 101 to Shelter Cove on the ocean. Nice drive thru the hills and trees but then you come to the ridge top overlooking Shelter Cove. Interesting drive to the bottom.

Neat small place (as I recall) that does not get many visitors.

Of course it has been 30 to 40 years since I was last there so who knows what it is like these days.

Dick - Toy Man

Thread Information